Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DVB-T: codec and bitrate used for audio only broadcast (Read 4881 times) previous topic - next topic

DVB-T: codec and bitrate used for audio only broadcast

Does anybody know which coded and bitrate are used to broadcast audio only sources, e.g. radio stations, in current DVB-T standard for European TV?
... I live by long distance.

Reply #1
I don't know about Europe, but here in South Africa when we had the DVB-T trials they used HE-AAC at 64Kbit/s for the radio channels and TV channels. It didn't sound good at all for me. They could of just removed 64Kbit/s off the video streams and added that to the audio to get 128Kbit/s LC-AAC.
They are stopped the DVB-T trials and are now doing DVB-T2 trials, but I don't have an tuner to check out what thet are using now.

Reply #2
Does anybody know which coded and bitrate are used to broadcast audio only sources, e.g. radio stations, in current DVB-T standard for European TV?

It's MPEG-1 layer 2 (i.e. .mp2) audio, usually at 48kHz sampling rate. Bitrate varies by channel. Some channels are stereo, some mono. I did find a website that listed measured parameters for bitrates in various channels in europe as they vary from time to time. I did a system restore so lost some software that would demux my WTV files and tell me from my USB DVB-T tuner picking up UK free-to-air DVB-T.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #3
Here in slovakia DVB-S and DVB-T are MPEG-1 layer 2 (i.e. .mp2) audio sampled at 48000 Hz with mostly 192 kbit. After doing my recording I can demux it using apps such as PVAstrumento or DG index, then cut / edit using mp3 direct cut and then play / convert / whatever using Foobar 2000.
At least this is my use case.