Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Command-line ways to “Add to Queue” or “Insert as Next Into Playlist”? (Read 2052 times) previous topic - next topic

Command-line ways to “Add to Queue” or “Insert as Next Into Playlist”?

(The forum software chopped my title.  It should be 'Add to Playback Queue' or 'Insert as Next Into Playlist' from command line?)

I'm not sure if what I want to do is not possible or it's so blindingly obvious that I'm just plain missing it.

I'd like to be able to add files to be played "next" after the current track - I want to be able to do this from outside of fb2k.  I figure a right-click option in Explorer or something ... and these are easily defined if you know the command-line command.  I wish to either add to the playback queue or insert after the current track in the active playlist.

But I can't find a way to use a command-line command or something like foosion's Run command to do this.  Am I missing something obvious?

Thx.

Reply #1
The forum software chopped my title.
Characters such as the typewriter-style single quotation-mark must be escaped in HTML, and so they waste space in the 70 characters available for titles and subtitles. To avoid this, everyone can use proper nice typographical quotation marks!  Renamed, and free bump.

Reply #2
On a related note, is there a way to stop fb2k from jumping to the track's spot in the playlist when it's played out of the playback queue? 

Example: I'm listening to a playlist of many tracks.  In my media library, I add the track to the queue.  It will be the next track played.  But then fb2k will follow it in the playlist, skipping over a bunch of tracks instead of just proceeding along the playlist as normal.  Obviously this is only true if the track is in the active playlist. 

Reply #3
I think I figured out a way to do what I want.
1. Install foo_queuecontents.  No need to add the UI element to your layout.
2. Create a playlist to mirror the queue contents.  I called mine "PlaylistQueue".
3. In Preferences: Queue Contents Editor
Tick 'Enable Queue Playlist Feature'
Enter the Playlist name from #2
4. Preferences: Shell Integration
Tick the 'Set "Enqueue" as the default action' option
Tick the 'Always send new files to playlist' option and specify the playlist from #2.

Now I can manually enqueue files from Explorer.  They are played after the current track and, once every track in the playback queue is played, the normal playlist resumes.
Also ... no need to muck with file extensions / right-click options. And the issue from post #3 above doesn't occur.

The only real drawback is that, if nothing is currently playing, queueing the file from explorer doesn't start playback; I have to manually press play.  No big deal.