Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: f2k v1.4.1b1: Improved status feedback from batch attach album art tool.??? (Read 2899 times) previous topic - next topic

f2k v1.4.1b1: Improved status feedback from batch attach album art tool.???

Hello,

When adding cover art to my files, I now get a quite useless dialog telling me, that no errors occoured.

I'm not sure, its the new feature from the changelog. "Improved status feedback from batch attach album art tool.", but how can I stop this irritating message from popping up, when everything goes well?

If errors occoured, I'm happy to read about it, but closing a popup everytime an operation was succesful is quite irritating/inconvenient.

just to be sure, this is such a popup:

Re: f2k v1.4.1b1: Improved status feedback from batch attach album art tool.???

Reply #1
Yeah it's new feature from changelog
Improved status feedback from batch attach album art tool.
And I agree it's distracting. I expect the status window to popup only for exceptions.
I would appeal on devs to make the status response appear only when files fail to update (or to make choice in advanced preferences where user could refine when he wishes the status response should show)

Reply #2
I would appeal on devs
Thank you,
is there a special place to do this,
or should we just hope, the devs are reading and note this down to their todos? :-)

Reply #3
This forum is the place to do that. Everything is read and sensible requests are noted.

Reply #4
I still most like the old way - confirm -> progressbar -> close on success.
It's improved in beta 2, not as efficient (1 additional click) but acceptable, thanks devs.

Reply #5
It's improved in beta 2, not as efficient (1 additional click) but acceptable, thanks devs.
I don't agree :-)

For me, I'd like to see either
a) an advanced preference which would us to allow an automaticly closed "batch attach picture" window,
or
b) have back the old "OK" button in addition to the new "GO" button, which will leave the window open and now forces the user to close the window(s) manually.
(which I find irritating, because I use the "batch attach picture" window with a lot of different folders at the same time. So now, I'm left with, say, 6 windows open which need to be closed manually. The previous solution was great: window closed = success = forget about what you did. Otherwise the error-log was shown = check&repeat. This elegant and lightwight way of adding images to the users music is now redeemed with a "somewhat inconsistent (compared to other f2k popups/windows)" and cumbersome behaviour, IMHO. Now, I need to have a look at the smallish status-line in oder to check, if the process (or the 6 processed folders) was successful done or not, which takes time and concentration.

Reply #6
It didn't provide any feedback in the past. If it didn't even touch your files you were not notified.

Reply #7
It didn't provide any feedback in the past. If it didn't even touch your files you were not notified.
True, but that (null)process took 0-0.5 secs. Touching files always took way more time than that, so I always could say if it worked or if I, say, tried to add an PNG, which never worked, or some non-existing files.

It's probably not a bad idea to give users the oportunaty to check if their files were successfully modified or not,
but I, pers., would really have the option to choose which behaviour f2k uses, because of my own usability which is build on speed and mass tagging/adding images. manually closing a single window 3 times a day is not a bummer, but closing it 150 times its kinda annoying.

Reply #8
Hello again,

now, that f2k 1.4.1 stable is out,

can we please have an advanced preference which allows us to have the "Batch Attach Picture" window automaticly closed, IF NO errors occoured?

That would be very convenient for those users, who use f2k for mass-adding covers to their files.
It also would be useful for ppl who use this nice tool more than 20 times a day.

Or, even more userfriendly: a checkbox, within the window:

[ x ] close this windows automaticly, if NO error occoured.

Cheers!

Reply #9
Why not run the tool once after you are finished?

Reply #10
Why not run the tool once after you are finished?
Not quite sure, I understand. Finished what?

Reply #11
I meant running the cover adding to all the files at once after you finish working with your conversions or whatever. Not 20 times a day.

Reply #12
I meant running the cover adding to all the files at once after you finish working with your conversions or whatever. Not 20 times a day.
In a perfect world, this would be possible :-) But here, its not.

We're working mostly album per album. Thats mostly a per folder work. So, when we finished tagging/rating/renaming/etc, a folder or album, we add the images to the files.

After images are added, we consider the work done (for this album/folder/release/item/etc...).

This is just a single usercase/view, and it can surely be improved, but if something would break while adding the images for 20 folders (in reality, add one or two zeros), none of the 20 albums can be considered as finished until the last image has been successfully added to the last album.

Example: the last of the 20 albums will fail for some reason to get its coverart.
With my usecase, at the end of the day, I have 19 albums finished and 1 to investigate.
While with your usecase, half an hour before end of work, I have 20 unfinished albums and need to investigate the whole log for errors, etc. to fix the problem.

Also, in reality, this work does not follow a sequential line, its somekind random sometimes. So its better to get things done and forget about it, then keep things open and hope for the best at the end of a workday :-)