Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Phones: How do Audio Technica ATH-A700 compare to Dr Dre Beats Detox? (Read 4148 times) previous topic - next topic

Phones: How do Audio Technica ATH-A700 compare to Dr Dre Beats Detox?

How does the audio technica ath-A700 compare to the beats by Dr dre detox edition? Is it better or is it worse? And by how much? And in what aspects do they differ? Can anyone give me a detailed comparison? This is for a friend.

Thanks.

Reply #1
Are you aware of the forum place head-fi.org ?  At head-fi , they like to do headphone comparisons , advise everyone,  and also dive into endless subjective considerations (subjectivity is not desired at hydrogenaudio).
Otherwise, all I can say is that usually most headphone from monster are not well-regarded by audiophiles.
The problem with monster headphone , is that  at least half of value is from fashion, and also there's some disdain for a producer of overpriced cables.

Reply #2
Those seem to be a special edition of the Beats Pros, for which any number of reviews (and even measurement data) is available. In short, they aren't even that bass-heavy, they're very easy to drive (in part due to very low impedance, generally under 20 ohms), and built like a tank, but they weigh a ton (over 400 g) and aren't particularly comfortable. And of course, quite pricey.

A700s, for which you'll find measurement data on Headroom rather than InnerFidelity, are quite a bit more affordable. (So I don't really get why one should compare these two.) They also receive far more positive comments WRT comfort, not the least due to a more moderate weight of 290 g. I don't think they qualify for tank-like build though, in fact the AT "wings" are not known for taking too much abuse. Definitely cans for domestic use. Sound-wise, they should be a little brighter. Assuming the sensitivity spec is right, still very easy to drive - maybe 3 or 4 dB quieter than the Beats Pros. Isolation is even less than on the Beats Pros (which are not impressive in this regard to begin with).

Which one to buy would depend on intended use. A700s should make decent gaming / music cans at home. For portable use I'd much rather resort to the potentially much better isolation of IEMs though (not to mention less unwieldy dimensions) - or if those are out of the question, some other, better-isolating models. Maybe HD25-1s (assuming no glasses).

Reply #3
For high-quality closed headphones, I think it's hard to do better than the Beyerdynamic DT770. They're available in various impedance/sensitivity (I think 32Ω, 80Ω, 250Ω, and 600Ω). There are measurements on Headroom. You can usually find them for around $200 (somewhat more than the ATH-700, but much less than the Beats). The isolation is quite good too at -12dB (not as good as IEMs like the Etymotic ER-4, but as good as any other circumaural headphones I've used, and similar to what Headroom quotes for the ATH-A900).

They're also very comfortable (I haven't tried wearing them for huge amounts of time, but I own the DT880 which has very similar construction, and those are very good in that respect).