Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Right flac/vorbis-tag for lyrics (Read 8156 times) previous topic - next topic

Right flac/vorbis-tag for lyrics

I searched the web for a while but do not feel smarter about this topic so I am trying to ask here.

I am ripping my CDs for a couple of years now and I place great value in the quality of my files and the tags. I used EAC for most of the time and stored the CDs as flac and mp3-files.

Recently I've been using dpPoweramp Reference for ripping (and I am very confident by the way).

Now I wanted to add lyrics to some of my albums. I use mp3tag for that matter. It puts the lyrics in the "UNSYNCEDLYRICS"-tag and that works great with my iPod, so that I can display the lyrics while hearing the song. Because I was not sure wich tag to use in the flac-files I was searching the web and found that I don't know a lot about the whole vorbis-comment-thing.

So here are my questions:

1. What is the recommended or most common tag to store the lyrics in a flac file? MediaMonkey uses "LYRICS". What's with "UNSYNCEDLYRICS"? In the description of vorbis comment a found that it is not a goal of vorbis comment to store lyrics in the file. Why not?

2. While looking at my flac-tags I found out that EAC stored them in a different way than dbPoweramp. In mp3tag-window it shows "Tags - FLAC (FLAC)" when I edit tags in files produced with dbPoweramp, but "Tags - FLAC (FLAC ID3v2)" when editing tags in files produced with EAC. From what I understand so far, EAC stored the information in kind of mp3-tags instead of the correct vorbis-comment-tags. Is that right?
What problems will that eventually cause? And is there a way to fix this?

Thank you for your help in advance and greetings from cold, cold and snowy Berlin...

Right flac/vorbis-tag for lyrics

Reply #1
Regarding #2, it sounds like you had EAC set to add ID3 tags in addition to Vorbis comments.  In EAC, under "external compression," uncheck the "Add ID3 tag" box.

To get rid of the bad tags from your existing files, select them in MP3tag, remove the tags, then select "undo remove tags."  That last step will only put back the proper tags, and you should just see "FLAC" in the column for the tag types.

Re: Right flac/vorbis-tag for lyrics

Reply #2
Sorry to dredge up this 7+ year old thread, but it's one of the top results in google when you search vorbis comments lyrics flac

Regarding #1, there's no command option I've found in flac.exe (1.3.2) that will take the lyrics that are typed (or copied/pasted) into the EAC (1.3) Lyrics field prior to ripping and stuff them into the compressed file.

I've tried:
-T "unsyncedlyrics=%lyrics%"
-T "lyrics=%lyrics%"
-T "unsyncedlyrics=%haslyrics%"
-T "lyrics=%haslyrics%"
-T "unsyncedlyrics=%haslyrics%..."
-T "lyrics=lyrics.txt"
-T "unsyncedlyrics=lyrics.txt" (this one *does* put the words "lyrics.txt" in an Extended tag field, but does not copy the lyrics from lyrics.txt, in the same folder, to that field.)

For what it's worth, I had to type in the path to the flac.exe file, because clicking the Browse button in EAC's compression options crashes EAC every time in Win10 x64 (not to say that's the only thing that crashes it... even clicking the Create Log button, on the dialog that opens when ripping finishes, crashes it (so thankfully it saves the log in the ripping destination folder without further action by the user).

Anyway, the best workaround I've found is adding the UNSYNCEDLYRICS extended tag to MP3Tag's Tag Panel in its Options, then copy/pasting in the lyrics when opening the file in MP3Tag.
(I also added ENCODERSETTINGS, since adding that with EAC seemed recursive.)

Reply #3
Try
%haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics%
or
%haslyrics%--tag-from-file=UNSYNCEDLYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics%
(don't add -T)

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC
If you told the EAC configuration wizard to use FLAC, then the command-line options are preconfigured with the following default string. As compared to the string above, the order of parameters is different, more metadata fields are supported (harmless), the output filename is unnecessarily included (-o %dest%), and output verification is unnecessarily enabled (-V):

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_placeholders
korth

Reply #4
Try
%haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics%
or
%haslyrics%--tag-from-file=UNSYNCEDLYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics%
(don't add -T)

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC
If you told the EAC configuration wizard to use FLAC, then the command-line options are preconfigured with the following default string. As compared to the string above, the order of parameters is different, more metadata fields are supported (harmless), the output filename is unnecessarily included (-o %dest%), and output verification is unnecessarily enabled (-V):

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_placeholders

Thanks, but I think I'll just continue to use the MP3Tag workaround described for the few tracks I decide to put in lyrics. But maybe it will help others that find this thread searching for "vorbis comments lyrics flac" as I did. I did see in another thread it's also possible to make MP3Tag pull them in from a text file using its Field Mappings, but since I add lyrics to less than 1% of my FLACs...

By the way, I *did* choose FLAC when installing EAC 1.3, but none of those options were populated.  The options I came up with on my own are visible in the image file I attached. To report bugs on EAC they require the ASPI version, but the only interrogator they link to says Win10 is not a supported OS.  :-|

Reply #5
By the way, I *did* choose FLAC when installing EAC 1.3, but none of those options were populated.
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Configuration_Wizard
The installer just adds the files. The Configuration Wizard helps you configure some of the options.
korth