Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 for mac (Read 110811 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foobar2000 for mac

Reply #275
How do we install components on the Mac version (and yes, I mean the Mac components)?

Reply #276
I know nothing about macs but I'd assume the file type is associated and you can double click it (is double clicking even a thing - probably not  ;D )

Failing that, there must be preferences dialog you can explore??

Failing that, can you drag/drop the file on to fb2k while it's running. Clutching at straws territory here.  :-X

edit: changelog for 2.6 says there is a preferences page...

https://www.foobar2000.org/changelog-mac

Support for add-on components:

.fb2k-component format has been extended to include Mac architecture.
    Added Components preferences page.

Reply #277
How do we install components on the Mac version (and yes, I mean the Mac components)?
Just remember the component has to be compiled to run on MacOS. Right now there are only a few.

Reply #278
Several preview versions of fb2k for Mac have been published. The issues related to remembering window size and position are fixed or mostly fixed. Other issues appear are being resolved mainly in parallel to development of version 2.2 for Windows.

I consider this to be far and away the best free music player for MacOS. It has a real library, a functional minimalist interface and the best feature, IMO, is the built in parametric eq.

Reply #280
How do I migrate my current fb2k configuration (such as settings, playlist, autoplaylist, etc.) to another Mac?

Reply #281
I think you can inherit the settings and playlists by backing up the ~/Library/foobar2000 folder and also backing up the com.foobar2000.mac.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences.

Reply #282
Thank you for this version of Foobar2000 for Mac!

[Feature Request] A status bar displaying the total duration and the number of tracks in the currently displayed playlist.

Enable or disable the status bar using a toggle similar to the standard Finder shortcut:
View > Show Status Bar (Cmd /)
View > Hide Status Bar (Cmd /)

An example of the basic information to include in the status bar:
63 tracks, 2 hours 38 minutes 58 seconds
Estimated completion time of the playlist: 22:33
This is akin to the Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) feature in GPS systems.

I believe this information is vital, especially for those using foobar2000 on macOS for DJing at social events.

Reply #283
Does anyone know if Coverflow can work with the macOS version ?

Reply #284
Such a feature of course could be made to work on a Mac, nothing in the Apple ecosystem would prevent any kind of cover display feature from operating. But you most likely did not mean to ask that.

The existing Coverflow component is 100% Windows based and obviously can't work in Mac-version of foobar2000.
And converting existing components for Mac is not a simple thing. One would need to have a new-enough Mac for testing and development, those machines cost a lot of money. But that's not enough, developers also need to pay Apple for the privilege of releasing software for the platform. And to top it all you need to learn new programming language(s) to get things done.

Reply #285
Such a feature of course could be made to work on a Mac, nothing in the Apple ecosystem would prevent any kind of cover display feature from operating. But you most likely did not mean to ask that.

The existing Coverflow component is 100% Windows based and obviously can't work in Mac-version of foobar2000.
And converting existing components for Mac is not a simple thing. One would need to have a new-enough Mac for testing and development, those machines cost a lot of money. But that's not enough, developers also need to pay Apple for the privilege of releasing software for the platform. And to top it all you need to learn new programming language(s) to get things done.

OK, however foobar2000 itself now works on the mac so it can be done. Are they any other addon's that have been ported to the mac?

Reply #286

OK, however foobar2000 itself now works on the mac so it can be done. Are they any other addon's that have been ported to the mac?
A few components are listed on the Mac page at foobar2000.org. Due to the decentralized nature of the foobar ecosystem you are going to have to convince individual developers of the various plugin components to make a Mac version available. Don't expect too much.

Reply #287
Let alone for some component developers, they would need to acquire a Mac to begin with.

Reply #288
Let alone for some component developers, they would need to acquire a Mac to begin with.
Absolutely. I don't expect too much to happen with components.
I am thrilled with what the Mac version is now. It's by far the best free music player for Mac OS. It has great library handling and a DSP suite which is actually better than the Win version.
People need to be reasonable about what they are asking for.
I can't wait for a stable 2.7 version so I don't have to worry about a preview timing out. I could be happy with what it is for a long time.
If you want something that does everything, buy J River.

Reply #289
It's by far the best free music player for Mac OS. It has great library handling and a DSP suite which is actually better than the Win version.

You are right. The version of foobar for Mac is only a shadow of the one for Windows, and yet the version for Mac is the best thing that is free in the Mac ecosystem.

A feature of the win version of foobar should necessarily be implemented in the mac version: the grouping of tracks according to a titleformat string.

Foobar is an application aimed at managing large quantities of music tracks: being able to group them by album, artist, etc. would allow you to manage playlists with a much smaller number of columns, and be able to read the important data of each track much better.

Reply #290
I recently bought a Mac Mini and I'm disappointed from the general lack of players. I use F2K for an eternity to manage my library and now I can't do it. I have to switch to Windows in order to do a proper thing.

Although Jriver is powerful it lacks the extreme customization of F2K.

Reply #291
After a two week break a new build of 2.7 preview now offers more main window customization options. Looks like to me there's going to be a lot more development in this are before a stable 2.7 is out.

What I would really love to see is the conversion functions from the Win version added. Free apps which perform these functions on a Mac are not easy to use. Being able to split a compressed single file with a cue sheet into separate compressed files is a very useful function.