Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anyone know of a 80-112 kbps multiformat test? (Read 4880 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone know of a 80-112 kbps multiformat test?

Hi

I was wondering about this between-64-and-128 listening test. For movies no longer than 100 minutes, these are the bitrates I aim at when compressing my DVDs to 1 CD. Does anyone know of one?

If not, then which codec would you think performs best at these kinds of rates? Judging Rjamorim and ff123's recent 64 and 128 kbps tests, I suppose AAC and Vorbis would be strong candidates. But which flavour of AAC and Vorbis? And it doesn't seem feasible to draw any reliable conclusions about how well MP3, MP3Pro or WMA would do. There's a huge gap between 64 and 128 kbps, wouldn't you think?

Reply #1
nope, no test at these bitrates

vorbis aotuv (q3 - q4) should give you acceptable results
(it's what my first attempt would be, anyways...)

it's a little low for musepack (and it isn't proper for video yet), but i'd suspect you'd get "ok" results with the same range (q3 - q4)

later

Reply #2
Hi

I was wondering about this between-64-and-128 listening test. For movies no longer than 100 minutes, these are the bitrates I aim at when compressing my DVDs to 1 CD. Does anyone know of one?

If not, then which codec would you think performs best at these kinds of rates? Judging Rjamorim and ff123's recent 64 and 128 kbps tests, I suppose AAC and Vorbis would be strong candidates. But which flavour of AAC and Vorbis? And it doesn't seem feasible to draw any reliable conclusions about how well MP3, MP3Pro or WMA would do. There's a huge gap between 64 and 128 kbps, wouldn't you think?

It would be an interesting bitrate range to test.  Did you just volunteer to organize it?

ff123

Reply #3
It would be an interesting bitrate range to test.

Aren't they all?  But indeed, a 96 kbps test would at least fill up that gap between 64 and 128.
Or would testing, say, 80 along with 96 and 112 kbps be overly ambitious? Forget that

Did you just volunteer to organize it?

Just PMed you about that. In short: not really.