Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stereo .wav file playing as mono in Foobar (Read 1776 times) previous topic - next topic

Stereo .wav file playing as mono in Foobar

Hi,

I'm having a problem with foobar2000. I have recorded an audio file and the left and right channels are very distinguished, When I play it back with Audacity, I can clearly hear the different piano tracks on the right and left channel. However, when I play the same file in foobar2000, The left and right channels are indistinguishable, almost as if it has been summed to Mono. Please check the video attached to see what I mean.

Can you think of any reasons why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Stereo .wav file playing as mono in Foobar

Reply #1
This is not a .wav file, it is an .avi file that contains an MP3 stream.
What did you use to make foobar2000 play it?

Reply #2
This is not a .wav file, it is an .avi file that contains an MP3 stream.
What did you use to make foobar2000 play it?

Hi, sorry. The file I attached is a screen recording of me playing the .wav file through Audacity first, then through foobar2000 after. You can hear in the video that when I play the .wav file through Audacity, you can even see that the right and left channels are different, however when played through foobar2000, the output sounds like it has been summed to mono (the peak meter visualisation also shows that the left and right channel is outputting at the same volume, whereas the peak meters in audacity are outputting different lebels in left and right channels)

edit: I have attached the .wav file I am trying to play.

Reply #3
Have you enabled "Downmix channels to mono" DSP?

Reply #4
Hiya, sorry for the late reply. It seems in the past I had moved a bunch of DSPs to active, and the "downmix to Mono" was included in it. I've removed most of them now and the file is playing as expected. Thanks!