Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC Treshold (Read 5577 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC Treshold

I am told that with MP3 there is a threshold, above 128 the file gets 25% larger and the sound gets 1% clearer.
- So does MPC have one?
- If so what is it?

MPC Treshold

Reply #1
[deleted]

MPC Treshold

Reply #2
[deleted]

MPC Treshold

Reply #3
How do you relate something like subjective quality to percentages?

--
GCP

MPC Treshold

Reply #4
Garf,

I found this at an R3mix thread : I am fighting the trend of bloated MP3. A lot of these settings are getting up to about 240 kbps. That's only 5:1 compression. Honestly there is a leveling off point where the audio quality gain doesn't match the file size. Fraunhofer has claimed this threshold to be in the area of 112-128. I agree as well. Beyond this the file gets 25% bigger and the audio gets 1% clearer at each step.

so is this true?

MPC Treshold

Reply #5
Originally posted by westgroveg
Garf,

I found this at an R3mix thread : I am fighting the trend of bloated MP3. A lot of these settings are getting up to about 240 kbps. That's only 5:1 compression. Honestly there is a leveling off point where the audio quality gain doesn't match the file size. Fraunhofer has claimed this threshold to be in the area of 112-128. I agree as well. Beyond this the file gets 25% bigger and the audio gets 1% clearer at each step.

so is this true?

I repeat what I said earlier, namely how do you relate subjective quality to percentages?

Asking if its true is like asking if 5 is more true than green.

--
GCP

MPC Treshold

Reply #6
First thing, the space percentage: a quick computation shows that, as an example 256 is not 25% more than 224, even if it's the next step.

Second thing, the 1% clearer sound: this is a much true as the fact that FhG is claiming that 128kbps is cd quality.

MPC Treshold

Reply #7
Ok, in MP3 there certainly exists a so-called 'sweet spot' which is somewhere around 128 kbits/s. For AAC, the 'sweet spot' is around 96 kbits/s

Performance starts to fall suddenly when you get below the 'sweet-spot'. This value is dependent on huffman codebook efficiency and some other things (coding tools, filterbank...)

But that doesn't mean that higher bitrate is not necessary - there are many cases where PE (perceptual entropy) is much higher than 1.4 bits per sample (11:1 compression) and in that case 128 kbits/s MP3 or AAC is simply not enough.

For MP3, another problem arise - filterbank inefficiency when compared to new advanced filterbanks (AAC, Ogg, ...), big short block length and the last scalefactor problem  - all of these require higher bitrate than bitrate estimated by PE. Because of that a bitrate of 192-256 kbits/s is required for MP3 to be transparent in perceptual point of view.

MPC Treshold

Reply #8
Thanks for clearing that up Ivan  I now understand a bit better but does MPC have a 'sweet spot' ?

MPC Treshold

Reply #9
It has, of course - this spot is lower than MP2 because MPC has huffman coding step - but I am sure that Andree can answer this question much better. He has probably done some experiments.

Also, in this current implementation, MPC bitrate control is fully driven by psychoacoustic model - so there is no CBR and way to test quality degradation based on fixed bitrate conditions.

MPC Treshold

Reply #10
thanx for the info  Ivan