Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC sync error on a brand-new CD (Read 10796 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC sync error on a brand-new CD

I recently bought a brand-new "Fallen" by Evanescence CD. This CD seems to be of a different pressing because I have the same CD I bought ever since it was released (2003) and it has different markings esp. on the CD itself. But anyway, I rip the new CD straight ahead, and because it is brand-new it doesn't have any kind of scratches.

Code: [Select]
Exact Audio Copy V1.0 beta 3 from 29. August 2011

EAC extraction logfile from 17. March 2013, 9:09

Evanescence / Fallen

Used drive  : ATAPI  iHAS122  C  Adapter: 0  ID: 0

Read mode   : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache   : No
Make use of C2 pointers : Yes

Read offset correction   : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out   : No
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks  : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations   : Yes
Used interface   : Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000
Gap handling : Not detected, thus appended to previous track

Used output format   : User Defined Encoder
Selected bitrate : 128 kBit/s
Quality : High
Add ID3 tag : No
Command line compressor : C:\Program Files\FLAC\flac.exe
Additional command line options : -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%" -5 %source%

TOC of the extracted CD

Track |  Start  |  Length  | Start sector | End sector
---------------------------------------------------------
1  |  0:00.00 |  3:34.71 | 0 | 16120 
2  |  3:34.71 |  3:57.22 | 16121 | 33917 
3  |  7:32.18 |  3:15.66 | 33918 | 48608 
4  | 10:48.09 |  4:24.16 | 48609 | 68424 
5  | 15:12.25 |  3:06.49 | 68425 | 82423 
6  | 18:18.74 |  4:38.05 | 82424 |  103278 
7  | 22:57.04 |  4:17.39 | 103279 |  122592 
8  | 27:14.43 |  3:49.73 | 122593 |  139840 
9  | 31:04.41 |  3:40.27 | 139841 |  156367 
  10  | 34:44.68 |  4:07.25 | 156368 |  174917 
  11  | 38:52.18 |  5:29.25 | 174918 |  199617 
  12  | 44:21.43 |  4:33.27 | 199618 |  220119 

Track  1

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\01 Going Under.wav

Suspicious position 0:03:34

Peak level 99.8 %
Extraction speed 14.5 X
Track quality 99.7 %
Copy CRC 4D299D2E
Copy finished

Track  2

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\02 Bring Me to Life.wav

Peak level 98.8 %
Extraction speed 20.3 X
Track quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC 05B7EA95
Copy OK

Track  3

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\03 Everybody's Fool.wav

Suspicious position 0:03:15

Peak level 99.8 %
Extraction speed 21.0 X
Track quality 99.6 %
Copy CRC D50616B2
Copy finished

Track  4

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\04 My Immortal.wav

Suspicious position 0:04:24

Peak level 96.5 %
Extraction speed 22.2 X
Track quality 99.7 %
Copy CRC 420AEEF6
Copy finished

Track  5

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\05 Haunted.wav

Suspicious position 0:03:06

Peak level 99.8 %
Extraction speed 22.7 X
Track quality 99.6 %
Copy CRC 07B8D24E
Copy finished

Track  6

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\06 Tourniquet.wav

Suspicious position 0:04:37

Peak level 100.0 %
Extraction speed 25.3 X
Track quality 99.7 %
Copy CRC C1571A64
Copy finished

Track  7

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\07 Imaginary.wav

Peak level 99.8 %
Extraction speed 28.0 X
Track quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC 467E8865
Copy OK

Track  8

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\08 Taking over Me.wav

Peak level 99.8 %
Extraction speed 30.6 X
Track quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC C7B01910
Copy OK

Track  9

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\09 Hello.wav

Suspicious position 0:03:40

Peak level 98.1 %
Extraction speed 29.5 X
Track quality 99.7 %
Copy CRC 9D00E59D
Copy finished

Track 10

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\10 My Last Breath.wav

Suspicious position 0:04:07

Peak level 99.8 %
Extraction speed 29.4 X
Track quality 99.7 %
Copy CRC 1B432B42
Copy finished

Track 11

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\11 Whisper.wav

Peak level 99.8 %
Extraction speed 33.6 X
Track quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC 2E7F8F15
Copy OK

Track 12

Filename C:\Users\Ron\Music\Exact Audio Copy\12 My Immortal (band version).wav

Peak level 96.6 %
Extraction speed 34.9 X
Track quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC 10C00A97
Copy OK

There were errors

End of status report
What seems to be the problem?

[EDIT]
And it seems that those "Suspicious positions" are at the very last second of those tracks.
sin(α) = v sound/v object = Mach No.

Reply #1
Do you have your drive configured correctly (doesn't cache audio data, provides C2 error information)?

Why aren't you using AccurateRip?

Have you tried burst mode?

Ripping with C2 pointers might not be secure unless you get a positive AR match or a matching test CRC.  Whether it is secure depends on the whether the drive can provide trustworthy error information; many drives do not.

Reply #2
About AccurateRip: "This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection it does not match the AccurateRip stored disc, or your drive does not exist in AccurateRip and thid disc has multiple pressings stored. Please try a different Key Disc."

Reply #4
I tried every CD I own and the same dialog appears 

Reply #6
It says the disc is not present in the database. Does it mean it's not accurate? This CD is brand-new.

Reply #7
It says the disc is not present in the database. Does it mean it's not accurate?
I would hope it would be obvious that the disc not being present in the database means there is no way of determining whether or not it is accurate. In case you don’t know, AR looks up discs according to their table of contents, not their audio data (since the latter would cause a time paradox), so failure to find a disc means that either it has never been submitted by another user or your drive is having serious problems (not being able to read a ToC). Edit: to clarify, the latter is massively less likely, and so I only mentioned it as a contrast to the former.

This CD is brand-new.
The fact that sync is being lost at the end of tracks suggests a problem that doesn’t depend on physical wear to the disc. Whether this is due to some peculiarity in the CD or in your drive, I wouldn’t want to guess, also because my knowledge of ripping is becoming increasingly rusty.

FWIW, when I used to use EAC, I frequently received errors at the end of the last track of many CDs, but I don’t recall ever experiencing consistent problems at the end of prior tracks. Something is amiss, and I’d be interested to hear possible causes.

Reply #8
Thanks for all your inputs. I guess the problem is in the drive. I tried re-ripping a CD that I ripped before in my old PC.  The old rip verified it (as per extraction logfile) "Accurately ripped" while the new rip displays sync errors on Track 1 and other tracks consistently, even on brand-new CDs.

Reply #9
UPDATE

I purchased dBpoweramp (this was very hard for me since I'm more inclined to EAC from the beginning) and to my surprise, AccurateRip was configured in seconds! I started ripping the same CD and then bit-compared it with my old "Accurately ripped" copy via foobar2000 and the result was "All tracks decoded fine, no differences found". Does that mean I successfully ripped my CD accurately?

Reply #10
Yes, it is good, and obviously the bit-identical other rip is equally good.

A few things:

- your old "Accurately ripped" copy – looks like you had verified your old rip with foobar2000? If it verified using fb2k, then you could already then conclude it was good. (You had not submitted one yourself, it seems – if you do, then a confidence = 1 may be your own.)

- it is likely that this pressing has some manufactoring errors, which triggers EAC's suspicion. Thanks to AccurateRip, you now know that someone else got precisely the same rip as yours. (And, did the dBpoweramp log give confidences for different offsets? Then your pressing has even the same audio as another pressing.)

- dBpoweramp might not even report issues that EAC does. One reason is that dBpoweramp first does a burst rip (quick and dirty, no error correction) and checks it against AccurateRip; if it is OK, then dBpoweramp accepts it as good without even worrying about errors. At least last EAC version I routinely used, would go through its entire ripping procedure first (and give all the warnings) and then do the AR lookup.

- you purchased dBpoweramp without downloading the trial version? Good for Spoon :-) 
(Myself I have paid for the Reference as well.)

Reply #11
Drives can definitely be a problem. For example my *new* BR/DVD drive would have problems reading half the discs I put in. In another DVD-RW drive there were none on exactly the same discs.

Reply #12
In what might be an amusing about-turn from my previous post, I actually do seem to recall Secure Mode causing sync errors at the end of tracks on the one CD I’ve tried to rip using the Sony AW-G170A (DVD-RW) in this old computer. I think I forgot because (A) I’ve only ever done it once and (B) the computer is pretty terrible, so I wasn’t very surprised that another of its parts wasn’t working properly. I’d need to test some other things to be sure, but perhaps your experience isn’t as unique as I thought. AFAIK, the sync errors and correspondingly reduced figures for quality, as with you, didn’t seem to affect the final audio, at least in that one case.