Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Insert many metadata can compromise the audio? (Read 1790 times) previous topic - next topic

Insert many metadata can compromise the audio?

Hello, I'm a user of Discogs plug-in for Foobar, for those who don't know it, this plugin allows you to fill metadata fields from the Discogs services as source, and may include some non-standard fields. In fact, you can create any field with the desired name, and put whatever you want (text).
Personally i use it in my lossless collection to fill some non-standard fields such BANDMEMBERS or BIOGRAPHY, and fill some other fields, and sometimes it can be a lot of text. Also I fill the PUBLISHER, INVOLVEDPEOPLE, so I can find new artists.
But i hear in some place, that can be dangerous for the audio file put to much data in the metadata, or even create non-standard fields. So I'm don't know what to think about it.
So, doing this, can may compromise in any way the quality, condition, duration, or how it sounds an audio file?
Thanks.

Insert many metadata can compromise the audio?

Reply #1
Hypothetically, it is possible for an audio player program to have a bug in its file reader that lets tags be interpreted as audio, and mess up any number of properties of said audio.

But practically speaking; popular, solid players such as iTunes, Foobar and Winamp contain no such egregious bugs. I'm fairly confident when I say that you are safe.