Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac - Stream Decoder error when playing in Winamp (Read 3544 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac - Stream Decoder error when playing in Winamp

Hi, I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I did a search and most topics I found were way over my head.

I've got a flac file that I downloaded from DC++, so I went and got the latest Flac installer for Windows.

When I try to play the file in Winamp 5.05, after about 5 seconds (of playing properly) I get the following error

at which point the music stops.  I have one or two other flac files and the same thing happens, though the amount of time before the error occurs varies slightly.

Any insight would be greatly apprecaited, I'd really love to hear this concert!

Reply #1
I suggest you to run FLACtester on the suspect flac files. Could be they were not encoded properly by the original uploader (usually it's bad RAM or overclocking), and md5 checksums or SVF files do not help. If FLACtester find an error, you should consider re-download from another source   

Try also to play these files on Foobar: on some (slightly) corrupted files, you just hear a clic and the console info warns you, but it goes on playing the file. Winamp just shuts down. 

Reply #2
Flactester found errors on both files (at the times when they stop playing).

Would it be possible to convert them to mp3s (and live with a small pop or whatever at seven and four seconds, repsectively).

I tried converting with dbPoweramp, but it only makes an mp3 file up to the point where the error occurs.

edit - wow, nevermind.  Played em in Foobar, and they're really screwed up - jumping around all over the place.  Guess the files are just corrupt.

Thanks for your help!

Reply #3
http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

try the "decode through errors" option

-F, --decode-through-errors 

By default flac stops decoding with an error
and removes the partially decoded file if it
encounters a bitstream error.  With -F, errors
are still printed but flac will continue
decoding to completion.  Note that errors may
cause the decoded audio to be missing some
samples or have silent sections.

Edit: Just saw your edit, guess this probably won't help...

Reply #4
Flactester found errors on both files (at the times when they stop playing).

Would it be possible to convert them to mp3s (and live with a small pop or whatever at seven and four seconds, repsectively).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283972"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can try, but I think the answer is no. These are corrupted files and the flac decoder should not work properly.

Just an afterthought... here @ HydrogenAudio issues about musical files, er, not personally owned are not that welcome. Better say: I just encoded some flac files and when played back on Winamp... 

Edit: QED 

Reply #5
oops... double post

Reply #6
Well you know I'm in Canada, and for what it's worth, file-sharing is legal here.  And it's not like Frank Zappa concert bootlegs are purchasable.

Doesn't matter though.  I deleted the files after Flactester told me they were no good.