Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 Listening Test at 128 kbps (Read 208285 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 Listening Test at 128 kbps

Reply #250
Thank you for fast reply and organization of test that never conducted.
Never mind.

Reply #251
Thank you for fast reply and organization of test that never conducted.
Never mind.
Even if I too deplore this thread and any public HA listening test was entirely becalmed, there's no need to get this bitter.  Nobody stops you from organizing one of your own, in all its complexities, after all.

Reply #252
I have obtained one top secret information.....
Sebastian will most probably start test today

Reply #253
Hey guys, just a small status update:

1. First of all, it's not easy to organize listening tests and I have been pretty busy with private stuff lately.

2. A new LAME version was released on RareWares yesterday. It doesn't matter if it adds changes that affect audio quality because people usually only look at the version and then ask "is 3.98.x now better than 3.98?", "why didn't you test 3.98.x"? At least the known bugs should be fixed so I don't expect a new build to pop up soon so that I can take 3.98.2 for the test.

3. I am currently having problems with hosting the samples. Roberto was kind enough to host them for me in the past but I was unable to reach him and I cannot host them myself because of the copyright situation in Germany.

I don't think I will be able to make it today because I just got home from work, but I will really do my best to start the test this week. Thanks to everyone who submitted samples by the way.

Edit: IgorC, For some reason I wasn't notified that you replied to my thread that is why I didn't even notice. Re-subscribed now - hopefully it works.

Reply #254
I am currently having problems with hosting the samples. Roberto was kind enough to host them for me in the past but I was unable to reach him and I cannot host them myself because of the copyright situation in Germany.
I could do that for you.  Straight FTP though, no torrents.

Reply #256
Thanks! What kind of connection do you have? Any traffic limits?
I happen to work for an ISP, so I have my own little private web/FTP/mail server hooked up to 2 redundant Gbit uplinks in a western European data centre.  No traffic limits of any kind for a couple of tens of GBytes of sound files to become too much
So availability and performance shouldn't be any problem whatsoever.

Reply #257
Just finished encoding all samples - finally. One of the samples produces 214 kbps with LAME 3.98.2 -V5.7. LAME 3.97 -V5 --vbr-new reaches 198 kbps. iTunes on the other hand set to 112 kbps VBR highest setting reaches only 122 kbps.

Would you count this as a big problem?

Reply #259
FhG produces also 212 kbps for this sample.

The other samples are also quite high. I will post a bitrate table... Just give me some time, it's after midnight and my brain and body only work at 50%.

Reply #260
Code: [Select]
             LAME 3.97    LAME 3.98.2    iTunes    FhG    Helix    Low Anchor
Sample 01    97          107            115      119    114      128
Sample 02    126          149            113      121    110      128
Sample 03    138          143            119      139    126      128
Sample 04    149          139            116      140    151      128
Sample 05    146          138            121      144    149      128
Sample 06    149          142            120      149    151      128
Sample 07    95          109            118      134    131      128
Sample 08    147          136            113      128    137      128
Sample 09    109          118            115      128    97      128
Sample 10    158          152            120      147    152      128
Sample 11    148          145            117      133    117      128
Sample 12    194          214            122      212    227      128
Sample 13    132          145            124      150    142      128
Sample 14    159          156            124      163    173      128

Seems that iTunes is only very restrictive. Wondering if I should simply set it to 128 kbps instead of 112 kbps.

Reply #261
Have you looked at a histogram?

Anyway, I don't want to repeat the discussion we had about this last year, but I haven't changed my opinion about it.  iTunes should be configured at 128, especially since you don't expect it to do well anyhow.  Might as well not leave any wiggle room like the previous test did.

Reply #262
Hmm, damn... Maybe they changed the MP3 encoder with iTunes 8. Does anyone have the old iTunes 7? I would install it on a VM and compare the bitrates it produces vs. iTunes 8. If iTunes 7 makes higher bitrates at 112 kbps, I will definitely go with 128 in iTunes 8. Otherwise, is it fair to adjust the encoder settings based on short samples only if otherwise 112 VBR produces an average of 128 kbps when fed with whole tracks?

Regarding the other encoders, if you "ignore" iTunes, I would say that the bitrate fluctuations of the other samples are OK (like for example Sample 02 where Helix allocated 110 kbps and LAME 3.98.2 149 kbps).

Reply #263
Found iTunes 7.7 myself. 112 kbps produces 122 kbps and 128 kbps produces 141 kbps for that specific sample.

The question is: should I choose 128 kbps for all iTunes samples even if 112 kbps is "nearer" to to the target bitrate of this test according to Alex B's findings (when encoding full tracks)?

Reply #264
Hold on a moment.

I am just encoding my various and classical sets with iTunes 8. Probably iTunes has changed again. Maybe the increased VBR bitrates in the latest iTunes 7 builds were not intentional after all. Before that previous change 128 kbps VBR produced a suitable average bitrate. I'll post the results in an hour or so.

P.S. Sorry, that I have not been available for a while. I have had busy times lately. Looks like you had to make the final sample selections without lots of help from others. Are you going to keep the list secret until the test is out?

Reply #265
I don't think bitrates have changed. With iTunes 7.7 (last 7 build) the bitrate is identical to iTunes 8. The problem is that iTunes seems to be very restrictive with the bitrate allocation. A quick look with EncSpot shows that 80% of the frames are encoded with the target bitrate.

Reply #266
You are right, the bitrate behavior has not changed. In fact, the resulting files are bit identical. I checked that with foobar's bitcompare tool. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Here is an excerpt from my previous bitrate test report:

Apparently iTunes has changed radically since my last test. Back then the 128 kbps VBR setting was suitable, but the 7.7 version uses bitrates in a more relaxed way and the 128 kbps VBR setting produces higher bitrates than before. Fortunately the 112 kbps VBR setting appears to be suitable for our test.

Summary

IMHO, it would not be acceptable to use a setting that produces 161 kbps on average with various rock & pop music.

I don't think bitrates have changed. With iTunes 7.7 (last 7 build) the bitrate is identical to iTunes 8. The problem is that iTunes seems to be very restrictive with the bitrate allocation. A quick look with EncSpot shows that 80% of the frames are encoded with the target bitrate.

In my test the new iTunes 112 VBR produced bitrates from 114 to 168 kbps. AFAICS, its encoder is not very restrictive anymore (except that its minimum bitrate is strictly restricted to the defined setting.)

I wonder if iTunes is doing something funny when the encoded file has a short duration. Have you compared a sample and its complete source track after encoding?

Also, just to make sure we are using the same settings, here is what I have set for 112 kbps VBR:

Reply #267
In my test the new iTunes 112 VBR produced bitrates from 114 to 168 kbps. AFAICS, its encoder is not very restrictive anymore (except that its minimum bitrate is strictly restricted to the defined setting.)

What I mean with restrictive is that when you have a look at the MP3 files produced by LAME or FhG with EncSpot, you will see that there is a quite even distribution of frames between let's say 64 kbps and 320 kbps. When you look at iTunes files, you see that about 80% of the frames are coded at 112 or 128 kbps (depending on what bitrate you set iTunes to encode to) and only 20% of the frames have other bitrates. That is why with my samples (most of them if you look at the table), iTunes has the lowest bitrate (you don't find a single sample with a bitrate higher than 130 kbps or lower than 112 kbps when the target bitrate is 112 kbps - the latter having the explanation that the bitrate you set in iTunes is also handled as min bitrate for VBR coding).

I wonder if iTunes is doing something funny when the encoded file has a short duration. Have you compared a sample and its complete source track after encoding?

I will encode one or two files when I am at home in a few hours.

Also, just to make sure we are using the same settings, here is what I have set for 112 kbps VBR:

Yes, same settings here.

Now the big question is whether or not to leave everything as-is. In the end, all other coders (except for low anchor that is CBR) allocate high bitrates for the specific sample we're talking about here. That is why I would say that if iTunes thinks it can handle the file fine with 122 kbps and in fact it doesn't, then its psy / VBR model is to blame.

Reply #268
When you look at iTunes files, you see that about 80% of the frames are coded at 112 or 128 kbps (depending on what bitrate you set iTunes to encode to) and only 20% of the frames have other bitrates.
That is odd. I don't see it happening with my test tracks. Only the files with the lowest bitrate are like you said. The complex files show more bitrate variation. Though apparently 112 VBR has a 224 kbps max bitrate limit and 128 VBR 256 kbps max bitrate limit (I hadn't noticed the upper limit before)

Here's what EncSpot says about the three tracks that produced the highest bitrates @ 112 VBR:

[b]Kraftwerk[/b]

Bitrates:
----------------------------------------------------
112    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||        31.2%
128    ||||||                                          5.4%
160    ||||||||||||||||||||||                        18.4%
192    ||||||||||||||||                              12.9%
224    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      32.1%

Type                : mpeg 1 layer III
Bitrate            : 168
Mode                : joint stereo
Frequency          : 44100 Hz
Frames              : 10045
ID3v2 Size          : 2146
First Frame Pos    : 2146
Length              : 00:04:22
Max. Reservoir      : 167
Av. Reservoir      : 72
Emphasis            : none
Scalefac            : 9.9%
Bad Last Frame      : no
Encoder            : FhG (fastenc)
Lame Header        : No

--[ EncSpot 2.1 ]--[ [url=http://www.guerillasoft.com]http://www.guerillasoft.com[/url] ]--

[b]Faithless[/b]

Bitrates:
112    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      25.7%
128    ||||||||||||||||||                            11.6%
160    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||          23.6%
192    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||                20.5%
224    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||                  18.6%

Bitrate            : 162
Frames              : 8588
ID3v2 Size          : 2140
First Frame Pos    : 2140
Length              : 00:03:44
Max. Reservoir      : 246
Av. Reservoir      : 76
Scalefac            : 5.7%

--[ EncSpot 2.1 ]--[ [url=http://www.guerillasoft.com]http://www.guerillasoft.com[/url] ]--

[b]Yello[/b]

Bitrates:
112    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      34.1%
128    ||||||||||                                      8.7%
160    |||||||||||||||||||                            17.0%
192    ||||||||||||||||||                            15.4%
224    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||                  24.8%

Bitrate            : 161
Frames              : 7220
ID3v2 Size          : 2131
First Frame Pos    : 2131
Length              : 00:03:08
Max. Reservoir      : 345
Av. Reservoir      : 76
Scalefac            : 4.7%

...and before anyone complains: The files are encoded with iTunes. EncSpot's guess is incorrect.

Reply #269
Just did a quick test with some samples and there is no difference between full tracks and samples. If the sample had let's say 88% 112 kbps frames, the full track also had around 80% 112 kbps frames. Wondering why...

Reply #270
I created samples of the three high bitrate tracks in my previous post:

[b]Kraftwerk (sample)[/b]

Bitrates:
112    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||                    25.2%
128    |||||                                          5.3%
160    ||||||||||||||||||||                          18.9%
192    |||||||||||||||                                14.0%
224    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      36.5%

Bitrate            : 174
Frames              : 1142
ID3v2 Size          : 2149
First Frame Pos    : 2149
Length              : 00:00:29
Max. Reservoir      : 204
Av. Reservoir      : 78
Scalefac            : 12.1%

[b]Faithless (sample)[/b]

Bitrates:
112    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      25.1%
128    ||||||||||||||||||||||                        13.9%
160    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||          23.4%
192    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||          23.3%
224    ||||||||||||||||||||||                        14.2%

Bitrate            : 160
Frames              : 1143
ID3v2 Size          : 2143
First Frame Pos    : 2143
Max. Reservoir      : 186
Av. Reservoir      : 77
Scalefac            : 5.1%

[b]Yello (sample)[/b]

Bitrates:
112    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      42.1%
128    |||||||||||||                                  14.4%
160    |||||||||||||||||||||||                        25.0%
192    ||||||||||                                    11.3%
224    ||||||                                          7.2%

Bitrate            : 143
Frames              : 1146
ID3v2 Size          : 2134
First Frame Pos    : 2134
Max. Reservoir      : 186
Av. Reservoir      : 71
Scalefac            : 5.6%

I think they are fine when I compare about the same passages in the complete encoded tracks.

The big question is why your "hard to encode" samples do not produce higher bitrates if mine do.

You can download my samples from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/150063026/set_...ate_samples.rar (10.8 MB)

Reply #271
Could you please encode fatboy with iTunes and tell me what the outcome is? I really hope it is 122 kbps - otherwise, there is something really wrong with my PC.

If that produces a low bitrate while other tracks you tested produce a high bitrate it means that iTunes' VBR implementation thinks that the 122 kbps should be sufficient and I see no problem then. If the sample sounds worse, than LAME which uses 200 kbps, then we can say hard luck because iTunes could have increased the bitrate if it felt the need for it.

Reply #272
Done.

[b]Fatboy_30sec[/b]

Bitrates:
112    |||||||||||                                    17.8%
128    ||                                              4.4%
160    |||||                                          8.5%
192    |||||                                          8.4%
224    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||      60.9%

Bitrate            : 191
Frames              : 1122
ID3v2 Size          : 2123
First Frame Pos    : 2123
Max. Reservoir      : 428
Av. Reservoir      : 65
Scalefac            : 5.6%

The encoded file is here: http://rapidshare.com/files/150073489/fatboy_30sec.rar

You must feel like  or maybe  ...

Ever called Apple's support? 

Reply #273
WTF?! This is impossible... I decoded that file with fb2k to WAV. Then I added it to the iTunes library, configured the MP3 encoder, right clicked on the file and told it to convert the file to MP3. Then I took both fb2k and EncSpot 2.2 (that castrated Pro version) and checked the bitrate: 122 kbps.

Edit: The really funny thing is that the test with iTunes 7.7 which I performed today was with a different machine.

Reply #274
Naturally I could help if your iTunes really has a problem that can't be quickly solved. It would take only a few minutes to encode the sample set.

EDIT

What is your iTunes build version? I have 8.0.0.35.