Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Moving items on playlist issue under windows 10 (Read 1125 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving items on playlist issue under windows 10

Hi Guys.

I have come across a couple of strange issue with foobar recently. I am after a fresh install of Windows 10. And I have just installed latest foobar - version 1.4.2 and the installation went fine. However I have these issues:

- I can't move items on the playlist - when I add songs to the playlist and then I try to select and drag them up or down - nothing happens - they are only highlighted but I can't move them.
- I can't drag and drop items from the media library - whether this is an album folder or a single song. For instance: I open + sign next to the album and then try to drag the song into the playlist and nothing happens.
- Also previously on Windows 7 - I could convert a file and then drag the file from the window which displayed the converted file - now nothing.
- I noticed some duplicate items - I add the album to the playlist and there are doubled songs - but when I try to open the source folder of the doubled item the option is greyed out.

I tried to also install the version I used on windows 7 machine - 1.3.3 - same effect.
I tried to install portable version - also no change with regards to moving items on playlist.
I tried to open foobar in compatibility mode for Windows 7 or even Windows XP - nothing changed

And finally, which is really weird, today I installed foobar 1.4.2 on my company laptop with Windows 10 and the first point of the list works like a charm - so I really do not get it. My company laptop seems to have more restrictions then my personal computer.

I would appreciate any hint as to how to solve this.

Thank you.

Re: Moving items on playlist issue under windows 10

Reply #1
It's a bug with Windows and foobar2000, when using a desktop scale other than 100%. Or possibly multiples of 100%. I can't say I've experienced it with 200%, though.

Reply #2
Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately, it is a Windows 10 bug. I figured it out that (for me at least) it is connected with the feature update that changed the release version of my Windows from 1803 to 1809 - when I went back to 1803 version everything started to work. So for now I am safe.

Most importantly, on this 1809 version, I could not move (drag) items on playlist also on Spotify app or Aimp. So once again Windows made it worse.

Reply #3
It's a bug with Windows and foobar2000, when using a desktop scale other than 100%.

Ugh, thanks for that hint. What a nasty thing... for me, dropped playlist items were always dropping the bottom of the list, possibly being duplicated in the process. So for now, the work around seems to be: "reorder the playlist only on a screen with desktop scale set  to 100%".

Reply #4
I ran into the same problem. In my case the issue occurred when using dual displays - a laptop with an extra monitor. And neither scaling was set to 100%. One was 125%, another 150%. The problem would occur only on one of the displays, as if it was caused by the scaling being different from the other. Whenever I set BOTH to either 125 or 150 percent, it worked fine on both again.

More details in the original thread where I asked for help: https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/b074y4/drag_drop_doesnt_work/ - long story short, latest foobar (1.4.3), latest Windows (v1809 b17763.379).

This may be a Windows 10 bug, but it doesn't affect every single app with drag'n'drop support. Maybe it depends on what API or formula an app uses for calculating coordinates or something. I know scaled displays can be tricky; I remember Android Studio struggled with a scale-related bug throughout several versions, and it would go back and forth for a long time due to regressions.

(By the way, frustrated by this to no end, I tried out several alternatives to foobar. I haven't done this for years, always happy with foobar, so I thought there could have been some major technological advancement among the competition. Sweet Jesus. One app choked straight away on indexing my sizeable collection (and you can't even play a single song until it finishes). Another widely praised app offers a bazillion of fancy skins, but finding one where searchable / filterable folder structure could be located side by side with the playlist proved impossible. The best I could find was a wasteful three-pane layout split into structure, search results and playlist columns. A few others weren't really deserving of a comment. It's amazing how low quality software we've got out there.)