Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiformat@128kbps public listening test - OPEN (Read 36886 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiformat@128kbps public listening test - OPEN

Reply #26
My bad.  Just thought i should flag it.  Cheers

Reply #28
The news on RW point to the wrong page (the old 128 listening test).

Fixed. Thanks for reporting.

Reply #29
Would you like us to keep our BT clients open to help when the floodgates of slashdot and the like are opened?  They seem to be well seeded at the moment, I'm seeing 8 fellow seeders on the large package
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #30
Would you like us to keep our BT clients open to help when the floodgates of slashdot and the like are opened?  They seem to be well seeded at the moment, I'm seeing 8 fellow seeders on the large package

Well, that would surely be welcome.

Now, the seeder at rarewares.org is pumping files at 64kBps (more than enough currently). If the test gets announced at Slashdot, I'll probably kill it and start seeding at 256kBps :B

Thank-you very much for everyone's help in seeding

Reply #31
Thank-you very much for everyone's help in seeding

I thought I could join in for a while and make the samples.zip package available, but the upload speed doesn't actually burst through the roof. I have two clients open (Shadow's and ABC) and they upload with about 17kB/s each. Is nobody downloading this package or am I doing something wrong as I don't really know alot about BitTorrent in the first place. Maybe it's because of a different timezone (I'm in Europe)?

Reply #32
I thought I could join in for a while and make the samples.zip package available, but the upload speed doesn't actually burst through the roof. I have two clients open (Shadow's and ABC) and they upload with about 17kB/s each. Is nobody downloading this package or am I doing something wrong as I don't really know alot about BitTorrent in the first place. Maybe it's because of a different timezone (I'm in Europe)?

I think it's because there aren't many people downloading this package ATM. You can check here:
http://www.rarewares.org/tracker/mystats.php
that currently only 3 participants are leeching. That's why not all of your bandwidth it being requested

Reply #33
@rjamorim: Thanks for clarifying. I'll just leave it as is then...

Reply #34
Roberto, the script bin/decodeall.sh in the package is incorrect at one place:
inside the main loop, at the cmd="..." line cut delimiter is ', ' where it should be ','
(my coreutils 5.2.0 bitched about it (delimiter must be single character),
after fixing the script has executed correctly)

EDIT: Another error: cliconfig.cfg file contains info for mp4 extension... all AAC files are .m4a
ruxvilti'a

Reply #35
OK. Fixed the script, moved it to the same folder as abc-hr (as I understand, that's where it should be run from), and added m4a to the clicodecs.cfg. New abc-hr_bin.zip is already available at the mirrors.

Thanks for reporting, AstralStorm

Reply #36
Hi,
I'm a little bit surprised, i cannot see anymore the BT client  recommanded by HA.. The original one isn't very col (no resume)...

Reply #37
I'm a little bit surprised, i cannot see anymore the BT client  recommanded by HA.. The original one isn't very col (no resume)...

AFAIK, there is no BT client recommended by HA.

In the test readme, I link to TorrentStorm. That's the client I use, and I like it. I can't recommend others because I have no experience with them, except BT++ (which I don't like)

Reply #38
Maybe http://foobar2000.org/beta.html has the information you are looking for.
I'm currently using BitTornado, since it's easy to use, powerful and close to the original codebase.
The original client does support resuming, just restart the download and it'll resume.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #39
Azureus is also a pretty good client for bittorent:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net

The biggest problem with it is that it is a resource hog.

It is written in Java so most systems should support it.

Reply #40
ABC just works for me.

Reply #41
Personally, I use Shareaza, which is a fantastic BitTorrent client IMO.  Easy as pie to set up and use, and it also can be used for Gnutella2 and eDonkey.  This may say more about me than it does about the client  , but Shareaza is the only client that I was able to understand and use intuitatively, unlike the other BitTorrent clients I tried.

Reply #42
i just wanted to say 'im using the bittorrent link and i'm gona help out since i'm on a university connection!
definitely want to try this out.
btw, i'm a longtime lurker and member of head-fi, so i decided to try this

Reply #43
i liked shad0w's (now bittornado) the best until Azureus got stable, as i usually ran more than 2-4 at once and Azureus can throttle all your torrents to a certain overall speed, not to mention make it so that only a certain number are seeding/downloading at one time. i still seed to at LEAST 1.0-1.2 if not 2 (and waaaaay more if i love what i downloaded)

Reply #44
I've listened to 3 samples so far and just wanted to comment that the test is definitely doable (i.e., not impossibly difficult).  Don't forget to listen once you've seeded the torrents!

ff123

Reply #45
I've listened to 3 samples so far and just wanted to comment that the test is definitely doable (i.e., not impossibly difficult).

I agree with this. I've finished for 10 samples so far.

The Slashdot people seem to start downloading.
2nd Multi-Format 128kbps Public Listening Test

Edit: Fixed mismatched quote.

Reply #46

Edit: Fixed mismatched quote.

Impressive. They are not saying this test is being conduced by HA

And yes, they are seriously downloading stuff. Just check the BT stats:
http://www.rarewares.org/tracker/mystats.php
More than 18Gb transferred so far...  If only 10% of the people downloading would actually send me results... 

Reply #47
I have a concern about a test with this high bitrate. As far as I can tell they all sound like wave files at this bitrate, so won't the result just be random, as people can't tell the difference?

In addtion have I two questions:

(a) Will the file size be taking in consideration in the conclusion?
(b) Why isn't Real Audio 10, VP6, and normal Vorbis in the test?

Best regards,
Martin

Reply #48

I hope that they can contribute: http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=107516&cid=9145429
The whole thing is a pseudoscience wannabe filled to the brim with vendors lauding useless gear before gullible fools. I will not participate.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #49
(b) Why isn't Real Audio 10, VP6, and normal Vorbis in the test?

Best regards,
Martin

Normal Vorbis was tested in the previous 128 kbps test and has not had any quality improvements since then.  Many of the third party tunings have fixed some of the problems in the Xiph version and according to the Vorbis Listening Test, they all outperformed the Xiph version.