Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 resample preserving tag (Read 5238 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 resample preserving tag

Hi,
does anybody know any free MP3 tool to resample files preserving tags?

I have a couple of tools I use to resample which I lose tags with and this is very annoying (a part time spent to reenter tags).

Thanks

Reply #1
I forgot .... I'm interested in id3 v1 only, I remove v2 because my car hi fi is not compatible with it.

Reply #2
What do you mean with "resample"?
Re-Encode to a lower bitrate?

This will lead to a big quality-loss and I'd strongly advise you to re-encode from the original source.

If you still want to do it, foobar2000 using foo_lame is able to do it (preserving all tags).

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #3
Yes, I often convert 192 bit rate files to 128.

I need a complete program for Windows to do that, I tried your link, but it's a DLL ..

Reply #4
just to clarify, what you want to do is called transcoding. resampling is an entire different process that i won't get into here.

sounds like you want to make the files smaller so you can cram more songs into your car's mp3 player. makes sense. and in a noisy environment like a car, 128kbps isn't too bad, especially for less picky ears, heh so i don't think we should argue over the quality issue here

the link dev0 pointed you to was a plugin for a program used quite often here called foobar2000. check it out here. it's a complete audio player, built from the ground up for simplicity, power, and quality.

Reply #5
Thanks, I downloaded and installed special version, but I can only convert MP3 to WAV and not to MP3 ... should I install some other component?

Reply #6
As pointed out earlier
This
might help you encode to MP3 with Foobar.
Just extract to the "components" folder in your foobar2000 folder. When you start Foobar you will have more options in the "Diskwriter" preferences.

You also need to download and extract LAME to the foobar2000 folder.

Reply #7
I'm using foobar2000 0.7.7b, foo_lame, and lame 3.95.1 as indicated by dev0 and abasher, but no tags are being written onto the transcoded MP3s. I've looked around the settings for foobar2000 and frankly, I feel overwhelmed. Anything you guys can think of? Thanks.

Reply #8
I'm using foobar2000 0.7.7b, foo_lame, and lame 3.95.1 as indicated by dev0 and abasher, but no tags are being written onto the transcoded MP3s.

Did you play with the mp3 tagging options?

The options are available on Preferences /INPUT/Standard Inputs.
Choose ID3v1. I'm not sure if it will work, but generally foobar2000 is working flawlessly with reencoding/tagging report.

Reply #9
Hrm. I just tried that but that didn't work.

It shouldn't matter that I'm using Winamp 5.02 to check for tagging, right?

Shouldn't the foo_lame component handle the tagging?

Update:
Hrm. I just noticed that foobar is recognizing the tags on only some of my MP3s. On the ones it recognizes, the transcoded MP3s have tags. I use a combination of Mp3 Tag Tools and Winamp 5.02 to edit my ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. Weird... I'm going to go search the forums for an answer to this...

Reply #10
You need to install foo_id3v2 to read or write ID3v2 tags. It is included in the special installer.

Reply #11
try this it will also let you filter by bitrate to have only 192 kbs presented for transcoding.
Dimitris

Reply #12
Thanks for the tips.

kode54, I did have the ID3V2 plug-in installed. I tried foobar2000 with and without the plug-in but had the same results: ID3 tags were recognized on only some of files, and they were the same files in both cases. I even tried 0.7.7b and 0.8 beta. A search of the forums yielded no clues.

Though it is very weird that it seems this is only happening to me, the two possibilities I can think of are:
  • My ID3 tags (V1 and V2) are non-standard. I've always used MP3 Tag Tools and Winamp to edit my tags and other software seem to have no problems with those tags.
  • The ID3V2 plug-in is not very robust. I suspect this might be the case because a lot people on HA seem to speak of ID3V2 distainfully, therefore, not a lot of time or testing was spent on it. What the author says in the About box for the ID3V2 plug-in leads me to believe that he didn't program it with wholehearted enthusiasm. Heh.
I ran across dBpowerAMP Music Converter, though. It seems to do exactly what I need. Plus, it's free and uses Dibrom's LAME.

jtclipper, transcoding files >=192kbps is a great idea. I'll check out that software. Thanks.

EDIT: Grammar, clarifications.

Reply #13
  • The ID3V2 plug-in is not very robust. I suspect this might be the case because a lot people on HA seem to speak of ID3V2 distainfully, therefore, not a lot of time or testing was spent on it. What the author says in the About box for the ID3V2 plug-in leads me to believe that he didn't program it with wholehearted enthusiasm. Heh.

The author = kode54

Actually the ID3v2 plugin is very robust, the problem is that it, by default, writes the ID3v2 tags correctly, unlike W*namp.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #14
The author = kode54

Actually the ID3v2 plugin is very robust, the problem is that it, by default, writes the ID3v2 tags correctly, unlike W*namp.

Oh my. How embarassing. No offense intended, kode54.

Winamp doesn't write ID3V2 tags correctly, you say. Hrmmmm... *rolls up sleeves* I shall look into this. Thanks for the tip.

Reply #15
I ran across dBpowerAMP Music Converter, though. It seems to do exactly what I need. Plus, it's free and uses Dibrom's LAME.

Hi calpchen,

I'm trying to transcode my --alt-preset standard library to --alt-preset 128 files to cram more MP3s onto a CF card in a portable MP3 player.  dbpowerAMP seems like it ought to do the job, but I'm having problems preserving tags.

I figured out that I need to select the --alt-preset abr LAME preset, and then configure dbpowerAMP to 128kbps.  But with "Save ID3 tags' configured in dbpowerAMP, I'm still losing the original tags when transcoding. 

Did you have better luck?
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

Reply #16
But with "Save ID3 tags' (ED Correction: 'Preserve ID3 tags') configured in dbpowerAMP, I'm still losing the original tags when transcoding.

Okay, I've partially solved this. It seemed that my problem was that dbpowerAMP would only write ID3v2 tags, and not ID3v1 tags. I was using EncSpot to check tags in the transcoded files, and it appears that EncSpot only supports ID3v1 tags.

But something odd happpened when transcoding a group of MP3s created by various encoders for one specific album. I had gone through all the album's MP3s creating and syncing ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags before transcoding. Then for some reason I still haven't figured out, dbpowerAMP created ID3v2 tags for all but 3 files while transcoding from LAME abr 192 to 128, creating >ID3v1< tags for those 3 MP3s, and partially correct ID3v2 tags!

Not a huge problem, but a puzzlement.
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man