Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: variation of inductance with frequency (Read 8022 times) previous topic - next topic

variation of inductance with frequency

Hai friends,

I am dng a project on measuring inductance using network analyzer. I have few basic questions

1)Why inductance of a coil or inductor should vary with frequency, when it value is constant?
2)Do we have to specify the inductance value at a particular freq ?

Reply #1
There can be a lot of reasons why the inductance of an inductor can vary with frequency.

For example, no inductor is purely indictive. Any inductor also has a capacitive element inherent in its construction that acts much like a parallel capacitor. Because of this, the reactance increases with frequency, with simultaneous change in phase angle, until above a certain frequency it acts like a capacitor instead of an inductor.

Were you interested in the audio-frequency range? Because most of this only applies at RF frequencies.

Reply #2
There can be a lot of reasons why the inductance of an inductor can vary with frequency.

For example, no inductor is purely indictive. Any inductor also has a capacitive element inherent in its construction that acts much like a parallel capacitor. Because of this, the reactance increases with frequency, with simultaneous change in phase angle, until above a certain frequency it acts like a capacitor instead of an inductor.

Were you interested in the audio-frequency range? Because most of this only applies at RF frequencies.

When magnetic core materials are involved, it's a bit more complicated to say the least, and depends not only on the bulk properties of the core, but also on the physical design, lamination, etc.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #3
Why inductance of a coil or inductor should vary with frequency, when it value is constant?

Because the material properties of the inductor are themselves a function of frequency.

Reply #4

Not the audio frequency range .A network analyzer can oly measure frequency above 0.3M hz. its oly in the RF range.

can u suggest me some std inductor with which i can try out my experiment ?

Thanks.

Reply #5
can u suggest me some std inductor with which i can try out my experiment ?

Get some enamel insulated copper wire, something around 18 to 22 gauge. Wrap a few turns around a pencil, then strip the enamel off the ends. Calculate its inductance.