Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Modify tags during conversion (Read 7680 times) previous topic - next topic

Modify tags during conversion

I have an idea for an improvement in the converter-options: Modify tags during conversion.

That would be cool if you want to do any specific changes in the tags of converted files. It could be used if you wanna mark tracks as "Converted from FLAC" or maybe you only want a subset of fields kept in the converted files.

What do you think?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #1
I found your post searching the forum to see if there's some way to add or to modify a tag/field during conversion. In my case I would like to include the q value (FLAC, Nero AAC) in a custom field when doing a batch conversion. It doesn't necessary have to be an automatic detection of q setting, manually seting of a tag with its value in a Converter Preset will do also.

There's really no way of doing so?

Reply #2
there is a checkbox you can enable which leaves a window open at the end with all the new files in. when it's complete, simply highlight them all, right click, properties, and add your new tag manually.

Reply #3
Simple, yes - Automatic, no... It would be much more useful if you could apply such setting directly in the converter preset. When I convert, I start it and forgets it. Most of the time I would forget to manually apply tags after conversion, so it's not reliable.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #4
Automatic tag modification is a real time saver and no brainer when you convert a lot of albums at once (especially overnight).

Reply #5
I imagine it could be something as simple as running a masstagger script.

Although, I guess it kind of becomes an issue whether you want your file name patterns based on the old tags or on the new changed tags.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
I'm looking for something like this.  Perhaps someone might have a work around...

I keep my CD collection as FLAC files--one file per disc.  With multidisc sets, both discs have the same album name.  This is perfect for foobar, but not so good for my Cowon S9 which does not support disc number tags.  When I convert the flac files for the S9, I would like the disc number to be included as a part of the album name, only when more than one disc exists.

Reply #7
When I convert the flac files for the S9, I would like the disc number to be included as a part of the album name, only when more than one disc exists.

[%disc%]

?

Reply #8
When I convert the flac files for the S9, I would like the disc number to be included as a part of the album name, only when more than one disc exists.

[%disc%]

?

I'm obviously not as familiar with Foobar as yourself.  Where would I put that variable so the value is included the the resulting MP3's album tag? 

For clarity, Foobar contains all my Flac albums, and I'm using to Foobar to then convert them to MP3 for the S9, and during the conversion process I need the disc number to be appended to the album tag.

Reply #9
Oh so that's what you mean. It can't really be appended to the tags automatically im afraid, but to the file or folder name.
But what you can do is to batch edit the mp3s afterwards by opening the properties for all of them in foobar, right click album name > format from other fields > %album%[ %disc%].
Hope that helps.

Reply #10
Oh so that's what you mean. It can't really be appended to the tags automatically im afraid, but to the file or folder name.
But what you can do is to batch edit the mp3s afterwards by opening the properties for all of them in foobar, right click album name > format from other fields > %album%[ %disc%].
Hope that helps.

Thanks smkk.  I'm relatively new to Foobar--is there a way to put logic into the tag format?  This way I can display "(disc #)" only for discs that have a value, or, in some cases I have setsubtitle that I would use instead of the disc number.