Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiformat listening test @ ~64kbps: Results (Read 123119 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiformat listening test @ ~64kbps: Results

Reply #100
NullC,
h*tp://www.mediafire.com/?s7i9usu2qr27pcg
The bitrate is slightly lower.

66.29 -> 65.82  Good. As expected. Not quite enough to get it lower than Vorbis— but lower than the AAC encoders.

Thanks for testing that.

Reply #101
Some statistics of this public test
18 listeners were kind  to answer the questions. All of them are men. There was at least one woman but she hasn't answered the questions.

Max – 46
Average – 28.61

Some observation by groups of  age:
20-25 years. A few young participants. Good performance.
26-29 years.  Good performance as well. Good observation. Excelent.
30-34 years. Very accurate observation with patience. They take their time to perform the test. The results are as good as of the younger groups (and maybe a bit better in overall).
>35 years. They were too few participants. But they have performed good too.

At least for this test  there is no connection between the quality of the results and age.  It's more about experience.

Headphones/speakers:
78% - headphones
11% - speakers
11% - headphones and speakers

Most of participants had Sennheiser headphones. ( 44.4%)
Some of participants have realized that headphones are better for spoting artifacts.

Soundcard:
Most of users had on-board soundcards. (59%). It's perfectly fine at least for me. Nowdays on-board solutions are actually very good.

Operating System:
7 – 52.9%
Vista – 11.8%
XP – 23.5%
Linux – 5.9%
Mac OS X – 5.9%

Computer:
Desktop – 52.9%
Mobile (laptop-like) – 41.2%
HTPC – 5.9%

The noise of fans:
Low – 76.5%
High – 17.6%
Less or more – 5.9%

Quite room:
1) Yes – 58.9%
2) Moderate – 23.5%
3) No – 17.6%

Time of testing:
Morning – 10%
Afternoon – 16.7%
Evening – 36.7%
Night - 30%
Varios – 6.7%

The place (room):
Home – 70.6%
Office – 11.8%
Computer room – 11.8%
Treated room – 5.9%

Previous participation in public tests:
For 58.9% of people it was the first time when they have participated in such test but allmost all of them have performed  their own blind tests.
5.9% - previously have participated in 1 past public test
17.6% - in 3 of them 
17.6% – in 6 or more

Reply #102
Hi all. I might be behind on the times, but was this test intended to replace the 80kbps test proposed last year? I ask because I'm unsure whether to continue tuning GXLame (a project I started as a proof of concept and also to be somewhat competitive at lower bitrates). Thanks, and my profoundest apologies if it is deemed that I am going off-topic.
Copy Restriction, Annulment, & Protection = C.R.A.P. -Supacon

Reply #103
Hi, DS

Hi all. I might be behind on the times, but was this test intended to replace the 80kbps test proposed last year?

Do you mean 128 kpbs AAC public test that was postponed? It wasn´t cancelled totally.
As far as I know there are too many competitive AAC encoders  (Nero, CT, Apple, possibly FhG) and next public test should be only for AAC encoders (maybe at 96 kbps). Only then multiformat public test can be conducted.

Those were my thoughts. It can be different. It´s up to all hydrogenaudio. Maybe other members want to conduct the next test.  It will be great if we can work all together because I couldn´t conduct this test without help of Garf. It is time consuming and not easy.

I ask because I'm unsure whether to continue tuning GXLame (a project I started as a proof of concept and also to be somewhat competitive at lower bitrates)

There was interest in your tunings. Some people have reported in your topic. I will give a shot too.
Any available codec can be included in public test if there is enough interest.

Reply #104
just want to say thanks for all your hard work in doing these tests for us to refer too..

THANK YOU

Reply #105
Hi all. I might be behind on the times, but was this test intended to replace the 80kbps test proposed last year? I ask because I'm unsure whether to continue tuning GXLame (a project I started as a proof of concept and also to be somewhat competitive at lower bitrates). Thanks, and my profoundest apologies if it is deemed that I am going off-topic.

Sheep, allow me to redirect you here.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.