Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FAAC and mono files (Read 10654 times) previous topic - next topic

FAAC and mono files

I've been trying to create a mono AAC file with FAAC but I always end up with a stereo encoded file. Is it possible to create mono files with FAAC? I've tried feeding it mono wav files but it always turns out stereo and I can't seem to find a switch for mono encoding with --help. Any ideas?

FAAC and mono files

Reply #1
the chance, that your encoded files indeed are "mono" is quite good

FAAD based players just decode them as "stereo"
Friends don't let friends use lossy codecs.  (char0n)

FAAC and mono files

Reply #3
The files are probably indeed mono. FAAD2 based players (almost all of them) decode any mono file as stereo. This is so that the players using it will correctly handle HE-AAC v2 without any special changes.

FAAC and mono files

Reply #4
Thanks guys.

FAAC and mono files

Reply #5
I've been trying to create a mono AAC file with FAAC but I always end up with a stereo encoded file. Is it possible to create mono files with FAAC? I've tried feeding it mono wav files but it always turns out stereo and I can't seem to find a switch for mono encoding with --help. Any ideas?

The fact is that it's FAAC itself that puts a "2" for stereo in the 'stsd' sample description atom, even for mono files. Don't ask me why. Nero's encoder does not do it. You would have to parse the 'esds' atom to get the "real" number of channels.