Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphones: On-ear, crush-proof, lightweight (Read 5692 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphones: On-ear, crush-proof, lightweight

So, after breaking my third pair of cheap headphones while backpacking I'm looking for something that may not exist, but would appreciate some help finding it if it does:

The bit that always breaks is where the headband connects to the earpiece.

Here's what I'm after:
  • On ear (no earbuds -- they never fit well for me, I wish they did, as that would be the obvious solution)
  • Detachable headband? (headphones that pack flat still get broken at the weak point where headband connects to earpiece
  • Lightweight (100g or less if possible)
  • Cheap (they're probably going to break any way)
  • As few joins and weak points as possible
  • Decent sound quality (sound quality is not a massive issue, can be EQ'd to correct for some deficiencies -- last pair were JVC flats and their sound out of the box was terrible, but was able to EQ into something adequately listenable)

The closest I've found, which are too expensive are:
http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/cassette-black-black
http://www.puremayhemdesigns.com/#!pure-flexi/c1kwn

Any suggestions greatly appreciated (ps. I'm in the UK).

Cheers

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #1
For backpacking, how about a pair of Koss Porta Pro?  They aren't super rugged but they are inexpensive and they are covered by a lifetime warranty (although I guess it doesn't cover abuse).

It's generally regarded as one of the best sounding "cheap" headphones, and they've been making it for over 30 years. 

I carry a pair of Porta-Pros in my laptop bag.

Reply #2
The thing is that everything gets packed/stuffed down very tightly and often in that process things that can break do. Also I'm packing stuff at least once a day over say a period of 2 or 3 weeks. So after 20 or so times it's easy to apply a little too much force just once and hey presto -- see above pic.

It's a nice idea, but to be honest I'd likely be buying a new pair each trip.

C.

Reply #3
So, after breaking my third pair of cheap headphones while backpacking I'm looking for something that may not exist, but would appreciate some help finding it if it does:

The bit that always breaks is where the headband connects to the earpiece.

Here's what I'm after:

• On ear (no earbuds -- they never fit well for me, I wish they did, as that would be the obvious solution)

No Earbuds or no IEM's?  I can't stand earbuds but I love properly fitted IEMs. Due to their small size and sleepability, they are the bomb for camping. They can be fragile so bring 2 pairs.

Reply #4
Actually, I meant IEMs. I've never got a good fit from any I've tried.
But I also don't like earbuds either.

C.

Reply #5

C.

Koss KSC75, cheap, on ear, pretty decent sound, no headband to break.

Reply #6

Keep trying. If you can find some that fit, which has never been a problem for me over all, the rewards are great.

I admit that I have a number of IEMs and have had to use tips from one set of IEMs with another. Not all IEMs seem to come with the right tips for everybody.

And there are some people who will never be good with the feel of IEMs that are properly sealed into the ear.

On that we agree.

Reply #7
Koss KSC75, cheap, on ear, pretty decent sound, no headband to break.
I second this. About the only drawback for me about them was that they're open, so the sound leaking outside is almost as loud as what you're getting into your ear.

Reply #8
Had a look at a number of reviews, Koss KSC75s look very possible.

On the list:
  • Koss KSC75
EDIT: Leakage, as you mentioned, seems the main drawback. Any more suggestions?
Thanks,

C.

Reply #9
They aren't accurate but the Sol Republic Tracks (and Tracks HD) are very durable.  The headband is durable (watch a few video reviews), they are on-ear aluminum headphones, the headphones themselves are removable from the headband, there aren't any joints, and you can buy replacement headbands and cables from Amazon and even big box retail stores like Best Buy.

The Tracks MSRP for $100 and the Tracks HD (which I prefer) have an MSRP of $130.  However, you can often find them for much lower prices.  I purchased a pair of Tracks HD, new, off of eBay for $40.  I actually think they were from the Microsoft eBay store during a promotion but still.  My fiance has the standard Tracks and I prefer mine simply because they are more balanced and not as overpowering with the bass.  Just something to think about as they are very durable.  They even have a Bluetooth wireless set that MSRP for $199 but I'm seeing but it now prices of $100 on eBay.

Reply #10
Thanks kornchild2002. The design would be ideal for me, except that they're a little on the heavy/bulky side (170g / 6oz) and they're not "throw-away cheap" (~£15 / <$25). But I like the fact that there's no join and everything disassembles. I'm a gram counter; since before you know it you're carrying 20kg+ (> 3 stone) up and down mountains. So everything gets weighed - especially luxury items like headphones. But nice idea.

Anyone know anything about the Sony clip-ons (MDR-Q68LW)? EDIT: Actually reviews don't look too promising -- unless anyone here suggests otherwise, I think I can dismiss the Sony offering.

C.

Reply #11
After a little more research I've added the Koss Porta Pros (thanks DVDDoug) to the list, since there's a hard case (by Custom Factory) for them which will prevent crush damage. The impression I got from reviewers is that they suffer the same open leakage issue as the KSC75s - is that right? That's a slight pain -- perhaps this could be mitigated with alternative ear pads?

So, the limited list so far is:
  • Koss KSC75
  • Koss Porta Pro (w. Hard Case)

Any more, possibly less leaky suggestions?
Thanks,

C.

Reply #12
Changing ear pads won't do you any good, they leak from the opposite side due to open design.

Reply #13
Oh yeah -- doh!
Anyone know of any closed back headphones along the "packable lines" of the Porta Pros?

At present I'm leaning toward the Koss Porta Pros, but that leakage issue bothers me a little. Perhaps I could put a sound isolating hat over the top when on transport. 

C.

Reply #14
Koss also makes the SportaPro, which I own. They can be securely folded in to a ball shape with a steel hook and loop such that the steel headband is wrapped around the drivers (I think the PortaPro can do the same thing?). Here's a video (not mine).

To make a light case for around that, you could take an empty container (like a laundry detergent bottle) and cut it to shape. Fashion a cover from the same material and use velcro straps to hold it on.

Reply #15
Yeah, I'm comfortable with the crush-proof side of the Koss Porta / Sporta headphones - it's the leakage open backed side of things that's making me pause.

C.

Reply #16
Yeah, I'm comfortable with the crush-proof side of the Koss Porta / Sporta headphones - it's the leakage open backed side of things that's making me pause.

C.

In that case, I will join the other recommendation for IEMs. They're light in your pack, no leakage and very durable. When I travel, I like to shut out noise sometimes and they're great for that too.

There are aftermarket earpieces even if the included ones don't work for you, and you can also get an audiologist to make custom ones for your ear.

Reply #17
I just dug out my Soundmagic PL30s to see if I could be bothered and it brought back the frustration of getting any bass out of those f*****rs. I'm sure there are some very rewarding IEMs and some tips that would fit my ears -- but I just can't be doing with the hassle. I tried a number of different tip sets, as well as the 6 types that came with, and never got a decent sound -- clearly from the reviews many people had no such problems. Also, after an embarrassing trip to hospital to have one of the Silicone Flange tips removed from my ear! I've decided I've had enough of shoving stuff inside my ear.

At present I'm looking to go with the Koss KSC75s for backpacking. I may well end with a pair of Porta Pros for other purposes. But surely there's some headphones out there that fold up small like the porta pros but are closed back? I've done loads of searching and can't find anything suitable. I guess the reason is that when it comes to the demands of backpacking, IEMs and buds cover it for most people.

Thanks to all for your input. If anyone knows of some lightweight, collapsible, closed back headphones that don't sound like crap, please let me know. Otherwise I'm going with the KSC75s and when travelling in company I'll wear a hat made of ...

C.

Reply #18
I'm going to hijack my own thread. Perhaps if this develops, a kind mod can split it off.

I've never owned (until very soon) a pair of open backed headphones. Since looking into them the leakage issue is quite often mentioned as one of the predominant negatives ("you wouldn't wear these on a plane or in a library"). So, here's my question:

If there was such a thing as a small, lightweight, closed back, unobtrusive cover that slid over the back of your open-backed headphones isolating the noise (making them in effect closed back), so when on a plane you didn't annoy your fellow passengers, but then when walking down the street you could slip them off and have that lovely "music in the world around me" experience ...

a) what would such a "cover" be made of, to achieve said snuffing out of leaking sound?
b) what would the "cover" likely do to the sound signature of the headphones?
c) if such a cover could be made and i) looked unobtrusive and very much part of the existing headphone, and ii) didn't have a negative impact on sound quality, is there any reason why this wouldn't be a useful accessory?
d) if c) is valid, why don't such things exist? or do they?

Any and all thoughts, most welcome.

C.

Reply #19
Just to wrap up this thread.

Solution: Koss KSC75 + Koss/Yuin compatible Headband

Thanks to all those who made suggestions. Ended up going with the Koss KSC75's. Very impressed with the sound. Additionally there's a headband that is compatible with these, so they're perfect - I can unclip the drivers when stuffing my pack. Headband provides a little more clamping force and adds a little extra bass compared to the clips. 

Koss KSC75 = 34g (w/o ear clips)
Headband = 9g

So pretty lightweight option for someone who doesn't like IEMs or buds.

C.