Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem migrating to new EAC version, output FLAC is different (Read 4284 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem migrating to new EAC version, output FLAC is different

Hi,

i used the same configuration for many years now, some rather old version of EAC with REACT. On my new PC i cant install this combination of software and i have to move on to newer versions.
That new version doesnt work yet, the FLAC seems to be different from my old setup, and i cant figure out why.

If i am not mistaken, there arent any new versions of REACT, right? At least i cant find them ... if there are, i will surely give it a try!

What i did instead was installing the latest EAC and just trying to rip CDs, comparing them to the files i already have, with the goal to find a configuration that works the same as the old one (the automation-aspect of REACT will be adressed later, for the first step i want to reproduce the old files).
I rip CDs as whole album, to get one FLAC file with the corresponding cuesheet. I want the gaps to be before the next track (index 00) and i use album-replaygain.

After some toying around i managed to produce the files, but something seems to be wrong. I play them with foobar, and foobar displays just the second track (for every CD i tried), but when i play it, it plays the whole CD starting with track 1.  It should display every track individually, obv ;)
At first i thought the problem might be the cuesheet, so i compared them, but they are roughly the same (replaygain still missing, and an empty "composer" variable). Then i copied an old cue to use with the new flac, which didnt change a thing.
Then i used an old flac (ripped with my old setup) with a new cue, and voila - it works as intended.

Now my question is: what setting might be wrong, to produce flacs that behace like that? How can i compare them to one another? Why is always only the second track displayed in foobar?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction :)

Thanks in advance!

Re: Problem migrating to new EAC version, output FLAC is different

Reply #1
Why is always only the second track displayed in foobar?
foobar gives priority to the tags in the audio file over the info in the CUE file. There's a flaw in EAC where the track tag placeholders are always set for Track 2 when copying an Image + CUE.
You can clear the tags using a 3rd party program such as MP3Tag or modify the Additional command line options on the External Compression Tab of Compression Options so the track tags aren't passed to the FLAC file when ripping. (Compression setting profiles can be created at the bottom of the EAC GUI to save different tagging options.)
I would remove (minimum)
-T "TITLE=%title%"
-T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%"
-T "ARTIST=%artist%
-T "COMPOSER=%composer%"
but you could remove anything that is already written to the CUE file so foobar can only read that info from the CUE.
more on the placehoders used by EAC
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_placeholders
-T "FIELD=VALUE" is the format used by the FLAC encoder to add the tag.

edit: you should probably remove the %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% as well
edit2: the REM COMPOSER "" seems to be added to the CUE by default in the recent EAC version and the quotes are filled when the track composer field is not empty on the GUI.
korth

Reply #2
My memory is really starting to fail. The current version of fb2k loads the CUE sheet just fine and shows all tracks even with EAC using the track 2 file tags. It only shows track 2 when loading the flac file itself.
Now I wonder if I remembered an issue that happened with embedded cue sheets.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,76825.0.html

korth

Reply #3
That's a good hint, i will look into that! I did not modify the command line parameters the new EAC uses, i thought they weren't relevant in my case.

Reply #4
I cleared all tags from the flac, still the same behaviour. I checked my old flacs, they have tags, too and "act normal" on foobar. Strange ...

Reply #5
I still dont know what makes my FLACs different, but when i restrict foobar to read only the cuesheets, it works.
This feels more like a workaround than a solution though ...

Reply #6
Alright, i am out of ideas - how can i compare two flac images?
The "old" ones i have from my old setup work in foobar, the new ones dont (ony 2nd track is shown). What tool can i use to find differences? Where can those substantial differences be, anyway? I already used mp3tag and though the files look the same, they behave different ...

Hopefully someone has an idea .. :)

Reply #7
FLAC has an audio md5sum, if that was what you wanted to compare ... ?

Reply #8
FLAC has an audio md5sum, if that was what you wanted to compare ... ?

A checksum typically shows if a file is identical to one another, but doesnt automatically show the differences. Is flac md5 different here? What tool can you recommend for comparison?

Reply #10
You can clear the tags using a 3rd party program such as MP3Tag or modify the Additional command line options on the External Compression Tab of Compression Options so the track tags aren't passed to the FLAC file when ripping. (Compression setting profiles can be created at the bottom of the EAC GUI to save different tagging options.)

I always rip my CDs in image+.cue mode, and I really didn't like that the track tags were passed to the FLAC file when ripping because in image+.cue mode, it only shows tags of track 2. I always have to delete the tags later in order to embedded the cuesheet. You can't embedded the cuesheet if the FLAC file contains tags. That's why I was interested in a FLAC file with no tags.

Reading your reply, I realized I could delete the command line (for all my image+.cue rips) so the track tags aren't passed to the FLAC file when ripping. I only left "-5 %source%" in the command line option. I'm using Exact Audio Copy V1.3.

Thank you!!!
Greetings
Sonny Burnett.