Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: File FORMAT/Encoder legality? (Read 2075 times) previous topic - next topic

File FORMAT/Encoder legality?

I saw another thread about this the other day. The replies did not address the question for me. So here's my run on sentence question. With lawmakers trashing fair use as we speak and the possibility of SSSCA (or whatever they're calling it these days) hardware/software fascism, is there a real possibility that files that have, for example a LAME tag in the header could be rendered useless because of the quasi-legal status of the encoder software regardless of content/filename? If you feel this question has no merit, check out http://www.eff.org/ before you flame me, and yes, we know about OGG. OGG is very cool, it's just not what this question is specifically about.