Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SOOO confused! (Read 3927 times) previous topic - next topic

SOOO confused!

I've been trying to figure out how I can convert MP3 conference calls into text and am soooo lost.  I have express scribe that I've been using to transcribe.  I also have Windows Vista Speech Recognition and have no clue what to do.  I spent the whole day yesterday trying to figure out if this was possible and no luck.  I found this site when searching today and was wondering if anyone is familiar and can lend a hand in what I need to do or if this is possible.  Any suggestions are greatly welcome!  Thanks! 

SOOO confused!

Reply #1
I have not used voice recognition software and am not sure what the state of the art is currently, but I would think that it would only work reliably with a single speaker speaking slowly and distinctly, and that it would work best if the user had "trained" the software to his/her voice and accent. Conference calls may be beyond what today's software is capable of.

SOOO confused!

Reply #2
Hi
speech recognition only works good after the software got some training with every speaker. An also it will fail if more than one person speaks at a time.

Did you have any success with your experiments?

... pdg was faster

SOOO confused!

Reply #3
No success at anything.  I wasn't sure if I had to convert it to another file type or not.  I just don't want to sit and type 2 hours of audio if there was a program that could assist and at least throw the majority in there.  So far, I can't stand the voice recognition because there are just to many changes to go back and correct even for just my voice.  Plus with all the speakers I use just on one transcription, I'm sure it would be much faster to type it than get it to recognize everybody.

SOOO confused!

Reply #4
My friend purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking (don't know which version) in order to create transcripts of television shows. He used it for other stuff too... but he basically used it solely out of a need to have certain TV shows written to scripts. No training was required and it performed quite well with multiple and untrained voices.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

SOOO confused!

Reply #5
There was a review of Dragon Naturally Speaking at arstechnica. They found it quite good, you might want to read it. Here's the review http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/speaking.ars