Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Request / Question: Keep Shuffle After Restart (Read 1901 times) previous topic - next topic

Request / Question: Keep Shuffle After Restart

I posted some of this this in the wishlist thread, but I don't believe I ever asked. Is there an option to keep a shuffle upon program restart?

I frequently listen to playlists with Shuffle (tracks), but sometimes I need to close Foobar for various reasons (PC restart, etc.). I'd like to be able to maintain the same shuffle between restarts so I don't have to listen to repeats. I also need my playlists to maintain their current track order, so randomizing tracks on a playlist isn't quite what I need. Ideally, there would be an option to just maintain the same random/shuffle seed until the "Reshuffle" button is pressed.

If there is no option for this currently, please consider adding it to a future version. Thank you!
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Re: Request / Question: Keep Shuffle After Restart

Reply #1
I can confirm that I have never encountered a duplicate play using shuffle with my playlist.  I stop and restart fb2k constantly with never a replayed track.  I stop fb2k with it currently playing, and I have the option enabled to resume play state upon starting.

It does this today.

Reply #2
It does this today.
I just tried with both my configured installation as well as a new installation (1.61). Upon program close and restart, the shuffle is changed as I said in my original post. In both cases I made sure "Reshuffle on manual track selection" was off. I wish it had worked like you said.  :(

It also says here in the foobar2000 FAQ that:
Shuffle's randomized track lists for each playlist are re-created on foobar2000 restart or when starting/advancing playback with another shuffle mode."
https://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ#random_shuffle_playback_order

It would be very useful to me if there were an option to keep the same shuffle, even between restarts, until Playback -> Reshuffle is used.

Reply #3
I cannot explain why it works differently for you, but I spent quite a bit of effort to ensure I do not hear repeats.  I do not change the shuffle mode, and it remains as set upon restarts.

If I either change the shuffle mode or play a new track on my own not selected by fb2k, then the shuffle resets.  I simply make sure I never do this.

Random, which is different from shuffle, will randomly select tracks that are possible repeats.  I faced this using random.  I have stopped using random and only use Shuffle (tracks).

Reply #4
Since the functionality I want isn't there on a new installation, I wonder if one of your plugins is causing your shuffles to remain between restarts. If so, I'd be interested in finding out which one.

Reply #5
I have DarkOne v4.0 installed from its bundled plugins.  I then updated all those to the latest versions.

Other than those, I have the Super Audio CD Decoder component, Monkey's Audio Decoder and Playback Statistics and DTS decoder components installed.  All of these are the latest available.

Preferences -> Playback -> Save playback state when closing foobar2000 and resume is checked off.

Reply #6
Thanks for the info on your components, I appreciate being able to investigate possibilities like that. As far as the plugins go, I either have them installed already or have tried them aside from DarkOne v4.0. Unfortunately, trying to get that installed would wreak havoc on my current setup, which I'm not about to destroy in hopes of getting one other feature I want. It also seems to use a whole lot of unstable components and was discontinued by the author, and as such I don't consider it an option for myself.

So I'm back to square one, hoping for the option to save shuffle order (seed?) between program restarts.

Reply #7
It is a worthy request. As a workaround, on the issue of avoiding repeats on 'Shuffle (tracks)' after restarting foobar, I use Skip Tracks component (together with Playback Statistics) to skip recently played tracks. A skip query like -

Code: [Select]
%last_played% DURING LAST 3 DAYS

- gives me enough time to finish a playlist completely, and helps keep play counts even as well.

Not an ideal solution, but just throwing the idea out there. ;)

Reply #8
Thank you so much! You're right, it's not an ideal solution. However, it does get the job done for now and it gives me some useful functionality I intend to use even if/when preserve shuffle is added! I've just now already added Skip Track to each of the DSP presets I use.

Reply #9
Also I should mention, with this kind of query you'd probably want to enable 'Stop playback after repeated skips' in Preferences to avoid it endlessly skipping. :D

Reply #10
Good call - done. The playlist I listen to most often on shuffle is only about 3 hours long.