Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Request] line-in or live recording input plugin (Read 6946 times) previous topic - next topic

[Request] line-in or live recording input plugin

Hi everyone,
(sorry my English is bad)

I think I'm not the only one who request this functionality. Over the more I remember it was implemented in older version of foobar (and other popular players like winamp).
I recently note that we can open a file, a location (network streaming) an audio CD, a DVD-A or DVD-A iso (great plug-in), but I'm surprised that we cannot open sound card's inputs for live recording and playing it through foobar DSP chain.

Why use sound card inputs as source in foobar ?

-for shoutcast or icecast server you can easily switch to live performance (ex turtables and mixing table hooked on sound card's "line-in" input) to a huge collection of files losslessly stored on hard drive with tags and cue sheet handled properly.
- catch any analogue or digital external device and pass the numeric signal to foobar's DSP. Why should I need this ? For example to enhance sound quality or sound tasting and/or get the visualisation effects on HTPC screen wile playing my vinyls or SACD. I've hooked my vinyl turntable with a class A pre-amplifier to my sound card's "line-in" input and use the sound card ADC at 24 bits 176 Khz to get a near lossless numeric version of my vinyls. So I would love to do it in live, not record file on hard disk but just listen to it via foobar, over the more I use two DSP : noise sharpening and crossover (foo_dsp_xover.dll & foo_dsp_delta.dll with foobar v1.0) so I wonder pass the digitalised signal through those DSP in near real time. So I can do the same with my SACD player witch output 24 bit 176 Khz signal via toshlink (signal that I can grab with my sound card's optical in)

So I suppose that a simple input plug-in could bring this functionality. And a simple way to call this functionality without rewriting foobar's core is to call the plug-in by, for example, "play location" and type "\\live_rec dev=0 input=3 fs=192000 b=24

I hope I'm as clear as possible, and I hope I'm not the only one to request such functionality

I count on this very active community to enhance our favourite player.

Regards

Reply #1
I revived partially my old Recorder component. It doesn't (yet?) have any of the fancy UIs it used to have in 0.7 or 0.8 days but it should do what you wish.

Reply #2
thanks for the component, but how is it supposed to work?
I enabled recording device (stereo mix - realtek) and started playback on MPC: device is working properly, Ctrl-U:record:// but foobar DSP settings doesn't alter sound. Or I misunderstood it purpose?

Reply #3
It's not very useful in such loopback configuration as you will also hear the normal audio. If you connect another computer to your line in you will have a better test scenario.

Reply #4
SQUEE!

Reply #5
thank you very much Case!
Music is my first love.

Reply #6
I downloaded it and installed, i can't find any buttons and etc...how can i start recording? 

Reply #7
You don't, it's not for recording. After adding an item with "record://" location and double-clicking it or whatever to "play it", it plays the selected input in real time.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #8
I tried to install it, but when I hear only register an annoying noise like a buzz, and no voice.

Reply #9
Check your system recording settings.

Reply #10
System recording settings is ok.
Other recording software work; also piperec.

Reply #11
any instructions about foo_record? what the plugin can do? how to record from mic/line-in?

Reply #12
hello, i just started using fb2k and i am wondering if it is possible to open record devices different from the windows default sound recording device. I'm using foobar with the foo_dsp_xover and an eight channel sound card for active crossover filtering. i have an analog and a digital source connected to the sound card, and when i want to change sources i have to open the windows mixer and choose either line in oder S/P-DIF as recording source. would it be possible to open both inputs seperately with foo_record without having to use the windows mixer?