Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to remove Lyrics3 v2 tag? (Read 10770 times) previous topic - next topic

How to remove Lyrics3 v2 tag?

I have some MP3s that annoy me. Basically they have a persistent tag that I cannot get rid of.

I tried TAG and it said they contain a Lyrics3 v2 tag. How do I get rid of it but keep everything else?
Is there a simple way or should I just undo mp3gain and rename the files and then remove all tags with tag.exe?

Reply #1
Try mp3tag.
Load the mp3's and then press Alt + T. In this dialog you can delete unwanted tags.

Reply #2
Try mp3tag.
Load the mp3's and then press Alt + T. In this dialog you can delete unwanted tags.

He is refering to the Lyrics3 tag, not the LYRICS field of ID3v2.
mp3tag should be able to remove Lyrics3 with ID3v1 tags, but this didn't work for me...
you could possibly try Frontah but i haven't used it

Reply #3
It seems to be impossible to remove only Lyrics3. I've tried a dozen different taggers but none of them does what I want.
I guess I'll have to do it the hard way then...

I need to find all of the MP3s in my collection that contain the Lyrics3 tag. Is there a program that lists the tags and lets me sort them with a push of a button (etc)?

Reply #4
It seems to be impossible to remove only Lyrics3. I've tried a dozen different taggers but none of them does what I want.
I guess I'll have to do it the hard way then...

I need to find all of the MP3s in my collection that contain the Lyrics3 tag. Is there a program that lists the tags and lets me sort them with a push of a button (etc)?

getID3() can delete lyrics tags. Might not be very helpfull unless you know PHP.

Reply #5
I have some MP3s that annoy me. Basically they have a persistent tag that I cannot get rid of.

I tried TAG and it said they contain a Lyrics3 v2 tag. How do I get rid of it but keep everything else?
Is there a simple way or should I just undo mp3gain and rename the files and then remove all tags with tag.exe?

I made it like this
Get Mp3tag , and add in the "View > Columns" dialog following entry:
Name: TAG
Value: $if(%_tag%,%_tag_read% (%_tag%),)

Ok, now you have to move the whole mp3 containing folder via drag and drop to mp3tag.
Look at the new column called TAG. and click it. (the dialog gets sorted from tagfield)
then mark the files with mouse, containing lyrics3 tags.
now click on the red X to remove the tag data from selected files.
wait a while until its done.
then click EDIT > undo.
The tags will be rewritten entirely from selected files without lyrics3 tags.

cu

Reply #6
Thanks! That worked almost perfectly.

Reply #7
I made it like this
Get Mp3tag , and add in the "View > Columns" dialog following entry:
Name: TAG
Value: $if(%_tag%,%_tag_read% (%_tag%),)

Ok, now you have to move the whole mp3 containing folder via drag and drop to mp3tag.
Look at the new column called TAG. and click it. (the dialog gets sorted from tagfield)
then mark the files with mouse, containing lyrics3 tags.
now click on the red X to remove the tag data from selected files.
wait a while until its done.
then click EDIT > undo.
The tags will be rewritten entirely from selected files without lyrics3 tags.

cu

Very useful way of removing unwanted tag types - thanks for that (and of course to Florian for writing the program).

I really didn't think that the undo option would be so useful!

Reply #8
just out of curiosity, will mp3Tag remove the tag when having it set to delete all tags in the options dialog? (ID3v1, ID3v2, APE)
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #9
Tag Frontend w/Tag is what I've always used to rid myself of Lyrics3 v2 tags, albeit I wish it had an option just to remove the Lyrics3 v2 tag. To remove them with Tag Frontend w/Tag select: Remove all tags

To remove all tags using just Tag.exe you'd use:
tag --remove "Artist-01-Track.mp3"

I've never tried it but I'm wondering if Foobar2000 can remove them via 'Right-click -> Database -> Remove tag from file(s)'

Have fun re-tagging those mp3's.

Reply #10
just out of curiosity, will mp3Tag remove the tag when having it set to delete all tags in the options dialog? (ID3v1, ID3v2, APE)

Yep, it'll remove ID3v1, ID3v2, APE and any others (lyrics3, for example). Then hitting undo will add back in the ones you have selected in options (proably ID3v1, ID3v2). Good huh?

Re: How to remove Lyrics3 v2 tag?

Reply #12
what makes this tag so special, that not just about every tagger is able to remove it without difficulties?

Re: How to remove Lyrics3 v2 tag?

Reply #13
I really don’t know … I kept asking the tagger and tagging library people for years. Maybe they feel it not being important enough.