Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl Newbie Questions (Read 5111 times) previous topic - next topic

Vinyl Newbie Questions

For Christmas my mom gifted me an Ilp Turntable and I'm kind of in the dark about what to do.  The only output I have is my ATH M50's which are always hooked up to my computer.
So I have many questions now:
What else do I need?
Can I just hook a USB cable from the back of the Table to a USB slot in the back of my Computer for playback?
If so, what software do I use for play while the record is playing?

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided 

Vinyl Newbie Questions

Reply #1
Monitoring while playing into a computer can be accomplished in two modes, hardware and software. Hardware can be external to the computer or part of a plug-in soundcard that includes a mixer chip. External to the computer is accomplished with a built in monitor tap or through a mixer that goes between the source and the soundcard. In either case, the computer is not involved in the monitor process, you just listen to the input us in some other hardware, such as headphones or amplifier/speakers connected to the audio source via interconnects.

In your case the TT has RCA output that can go to some monitoring circuitry. The web page does not specify if you will need a phono preamp when you want to use the RCA outs or if the phono preamp is built-in (probably not built-in). In any case, you would need audio playback hardware that is separate from your computer.

If you used the RCA outs to link to a computer soundcard, you could use a mixer in-between to tap into a monitor signal. Again you would need the external audio hardware to play back that signal. If the soundcard the RCA outs are connect to has the proper kind of mixer circuitry, you can send the input to the output to which your computer speakers are attached, thus avoiding the need for an external mixer and playback system. The same applies to many built-in soundcards which use the Windows mixer. Often these have the ability to monitor the input by sending it directly to the output (where your speakers are connected). The mixer application (Windows mixer or the soundcard manufacturer's software mixer) must use the correct settings to make this happen.

USB input to the computer, which this TT uses, generally does not include any monitoring facility. A great many people who purchased USB input devices, such as microphones and TT, have been disappointed to find this out. In this case you might be able to use a recording application on the computer to monitor. Some, but far from all, recording applications have the ability to output the input signal for real time monitoring.

This could work well even if you did not want to record a copy to the computer. Depending on the software application, you might be able to put the application into monitor mode and just listen to the entire thing as you please or you might have to be recording in order to monitor. For the later case, if you don't want the recording on the computer, you would just need to delete it after playing the record.

There are also some helper applications that might work to route the signal from the USB input (or recording program input) to the computer's audio output. Virtual Audio Cables is one such program
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

The TT's web page offers some free recording and preparation software, also instructions on using it. It is possible this software can do what you want vis a vis monitoring during play. You should download and read it.

Vinyl Newbie Questions

Reply #2
Start by reading the manual. No, really it usually helps to get you out of the complete dark.

I don't want to come off as being sarcastic, because people seem to forget about the manuals in the age of the internet where they can just ask in a forum or similar place.

Vinyl Newbie Questions

Reply #3
Can I just hook a USB cable from the back of the Table to a USB slot in the back of my Computer for playback?
YES!  Depending on your computer/operating system, you may have to select the USB device as your sound device or "soundcard".  As far as the computer is concerned, the turntable is a soundcard. 

(Typically, you can only use one "soundcard" at a time, so you may not be able to play music from your hard drive while the turntable is selected.)

USB is probably easier & better, but you may have another option.  If you have a desktop computer, it will have a line-level audio input and with an adapter cable to connect the RCA audio output.

You can also connect the RCA cables to a regular stereo or TV if it has A/V inputs.  (Your turntable has a built-in preamp, so you don't need anything additional to connect to a stereo system.)  You can even connect directly to yout powered (active) speakers/monitors (bypassing the computer)  if you have the correct cables.  You cannot  connect to "regular" non-powered stereo speakers, but you can connect to regular computer speakers (which have an amplifier built in).

The only output I have is my ATH M50's which are always hooked up to my computer.
FYI - Your speakers connect to an output.  The turntable connects to an input.      The signal comes out of the turntable's output and into the computer's input.

Vinyl Newbie Questions

Reply #4
@ AndyH-ha
You made me think to really look at the sound panel on my computer.
Because it counts as a recording device I can just use the "Listen to this device" function.

@Fandango
Ya I read it before coming here but it was very brief except on installing and using the software to rip the vinyls.
Thanks for the suggestion though, I know it is very common for people to just skip the manuals and hit the forums.

P.S.
Nice username, Tim Schafer is awesome.

@DVDdoug

I think this has a pre-amp. The manual states that is line level which I assume means is usable straight from TT to the computer with the RCA cables.

Thanks for the terminology help as well.

So I've read that cleaning your records is good to have. Do I just need to purchase a brush and cleaning solution?
Can you produce your own cleaning solution with distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol?

Vinyl Newbie Questions

Reply #5
@ AndyH-ha
You made me think to really look at the sound panel on my computer.
Because it counts as a recording device I can just use the "Listen to this device" function.

So it seems you can call yourself lucky that you got one with a built-in soundcard!

So I've read that cleaning your records is good to have. Do I just need to purchase a brush and cleaning solution?
Can you produce your own cleaning solution with distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol?

Wood glue, maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDiF-eVOgoI

This methods lacks any kind of mechanical scrubbing, it doesn't affect the label, which you might easily soak wet otherwise. The downside might be additives in the wood glue that might attack the surface chemically. And of course it takes a long time to dry completely. Anyway the results seem to be amazing.

Vinyl Newbie Questions

Reply #6

Yes, cleaning does help.  Generally speaking, 1:10 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distille water works well.  You might want a cheapie record cleaning machine like this one:

http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/

it's a fully manual process, but it does a reasonable job (speaking from personal experience).  No, it doesn't get dirt/grime out of the deepest parts of the groove like the better (and more expensive record cleaning machines), but it does the job.  Noticeable difference imho. 

Dave