Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: cue sheet parsing glitch (Read 1578 times) previous topic - next topic

cue sheet parsing glitch

foobar version 1.3.18

It seems that the cue parser can not haddle some uncommon characters, such as "à" (a-grave).
These characters could not be displayed correctly.
Yet more importantly, a string ending with such char would cause playback error, under certain circumstances (shown below).

TITLE "C'est bon que tu sois là"
  • using UTF-8 cue file: unexpected char shown at title
  • using western(win 1252) cue file: Error parsing cuesheet: invalid TITLE syntax

I'd love to write a plugin to fix this, but the foobar SDK seems too complicated due to my coding skill :(
Also I'm not sure whether a plugin can fix this :(

Hope the team can make the cue parser stronger :D
Or is there someone who can enlighten me on how to write such a component to fix this?

Re: cue sheet parsing glitch

Reply #1
Hi,
Please check this thread, maybe it will help you:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,116063.html
I am still not that good in understanding and thus explaining myself that charset-encoding thing in .cue files and its consequences when editing in various apps (foobar, Windows Notepad, Notepad++, others).

Reply #2
1) Open cuesheet in standard windows Notepad, re-save it in UTF-8 (even if Notepad says it is already in UTF-8).
2) Open this cue in fb2k, write everything you want.
https://youtu.be/ZxgmgGbqnPQ

Reply #3
foobar version 1.3.18
So.... I had done more experiment on this topic, and I might have figured out what went wrong.

The original cue file I got was encoded using Western (Windows 1252).
There the "à" binary was e0.
Feeding this to foobar would casue unexpected char in title.

Then I transformed the cue file into UTF-8.
There the "à" binary was c3a0.
Feeding this to foobar would have similar result.

And then I tried what Rollin suggested.
1) Open cuesheet in standard windows Notepad, re-save it in UTF-8 (even if Notepad says it is already in UTF-8).
2) Open this cue in fb2k, write everything you want.
The result was perfect when viewing in foobar.
So I tried to check the binary of the related cue file, and found that the "à" binary was a8a4.
And this was not UTF-8, this was chinese encoding GB2312.

So my conclusion was that,
when given an external cue sheet to parse/display/edit(using Properties window),
foobar used the default encoding of the os, instead of the encoding used by the cue sheet.

I'm not exaggerating, but - even in china - a file encoded using chinese encoding would be concidered satanic. :'((Yes, I hate chinese when I'm coding :'()

But encoding could be something very buggy, and what @Peter put at here should also be considered:
I can't just start writing cuesheets with UTF-8 BOM because it is unknown how other software (CD burners in particular) will react to such files. The best I can do for now is to add an opt-in in advanced preferences.
Maybe "to add an opt-in in advanced preferences" would be a good idea, letting users decide what encoding they prefer to use.

I know foobar is not some sort of open-source project, and I don't want to be rude, thus I am not trying to make any demand.
Please consider me offering ideas.

Reply #5
The original cue file I got was encoded using Western (Windows 1252).

foobar used the default encoding of the os, instead of the encoding used by the cue sheet.

The cuesheet is just a text file, and in your case it's not unicode, so foobar2000 cannot know its real encoding.

Make sence ???
So an option in preferences might help :D