Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Creating a mood-scanner (Read 20711 times) previous topic - next topic

Creating a mood-scanner

Reply #25
Hi everyone,

I'm well aware that this topic hasn't received new answers for several years. However, some progress has been made with regard to automatic mood detection.

Consider, for example, the following papers:

Panda, R., & Paiva, R. P. (2011). Automatic Creation of Mood Playlists in the Thayer Plane: A Methodology and a Comparative Study.
Schuller, B., Hage, C., Schuller, D., & Rigoll, G. (2010). ‘Mister D.J., Cheer Me Up!’: Musical and Textual Features for Automatic Mood Classification. Journal of New Music Research, 39(1), 13-34.
Yang, Y. H., Lin, Y. C., Cheng, H. T., & Chen, H. H. (2008). Mr. emo: Music retrieval in the emotion plane.

In most of these articles, the basic idea is to model emotional responses in two dimensions through low-level audio descriptors, e.g. MPEG7 descriptors. Though this does not capture individual differences, it seems at least to result in a good approximation of emotional responses. Of course, it won't work flawlessly for every song (there will always be outliers) - but in my opinion, providing statistically testable values of emotionality is a huge step forward.

Clement