Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Optimize file layout + minimise file size (Read 1628 times) previous topic - next topic

Optimize file layout + minimise file size

Would it be possible for future Foobar2000 versions to change the unit for Utilities>Optimize file layout + minimize file size from Bytes to Megabytes?

Also would be be possible to be prompted to confirm the changes once the space savings have been calculated. This would be beneficial when running the command on a bunch of files.

e.g. A space savings of 812462 bytes (0.8Mb) isn't really worth the effort but you don't know this until after the files have been rewritten.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Re: Optimize file layout + minimise file size

Reply #1
Noted.

Reporting size difference prior to rewriting files is not very feasible, as in needs to be implemented per file format alongside the shrinking. I'll keep it in mind for future updates though.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
When I try to minimize file size, the difference is usually tens of bytes (per file).

Reply #3
To make large numbers reported to the console easier to read, it would be nice to have digit grouping in them. Then it is possible to read rough order of the number (how many digits), the approximate decimal megabytes as well as the precise number at the same time. 24812462 -> 24,812,462. 24 stands out quite clearly.

Reply #5
Happy to create a new thread, but I thought it was relevant to this thread:

Is it possible for foobar to show the padding size within files? For FLAC files ideally.

The two Optimize utilities can then be used to remove excess or all padding depending on the users preference.