Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Could not update tags (file is read-only) on: (Read 7646 times) previous topic - next topic

Could not update tags (file is read-only) on:

I get this after a new track starts 

Reply #1
The logical thing to do would be to check with Windows Explorer that the file is indeed read-only and then remove that protection.

Assuming this works as expected, there is no problem with foobar2000 here.

Reply #2
^is that really the issue though? the OP said:

I get this after a new track starts

you wouldn't want something tagging your files when just playing something. obviously foobar won't do this by default but some component running in the background might?

Reply #3
Whoops. I still need to learn to read!

Well, the OP can now refer to the rules/guidelines of this subforum and follow by posting relevant information such as their list of installed components. Presumably one of those is trying to write something to the files.

Reply #4
Ok then, this is the list of the components

All of these came with a theme "Shine Foobar v0.1" that I installed and I have no idea of the features of these components.

The problem is fixed thou, but I have to change all mp3s that are read-only manually (untick the feature)...which sucks, because I have no idea which are so, and I have around 200gb of music. It's annoying you know.

So..yeah

Reply #5
it could be the lyrics panel configured to save directly to file. if it is, complain at the theme author. no one should risk having their files modified without prior warning. still, this is the risk you run when downloading these themes. even if you're familiar with the components, you're getting someone else's configuration which contains all their preferences and not the defaults like you would have if you installed the component yourself.

Reply #6
Firstly, you should at least determine which of your components is doing this, even if you do not have much of a problem with it doing so. It is good to know these things. Such are the perils of downloading configurations assembled by someone else without your input or authorisation, I guess.

Secondly:
The problem is fixed thou, but I have to change all mp3s that are read-only manually (untick thfeature)
You have to change each individual file manually? Not true. Assuming all the files enclosed within one parent folder, simply right-click that, select Properties, and the selector for read-only near the bottom of the pane should be ticked or, more probably, indicated as partial with a square. Just click the box until it is empty, thus removing the read-only attribute from all files within all subfolders of that directory. Heck, you can even do it on the command line:
Code: [Select]
cd "parent folder"
for /r %f in (*.*) do attrib -r "%f"