Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets (foo_facets) (Read 778411 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #75
Hi.  I've been using Facets for the past couple days and it is really excellent.  However, I've been having trouble getting Facets' interaction with playlists to work the way I'd like, despite trying all combinations of Facets' Library view settings. 

Typically, I navigate the library to select a few albums I'd like to listen to, in sequence.  I'd like to be able to navigate to the desired albums and easily put them into a single playlist for playback.

I can do this if I set the selection action setting to "none" (i.e., I don't use the selection playlist at all) and set the double-click action setting to "add to current playlist" (assuming I have an empty playlist ready to go).  I just navigate through the library, double-clicking the albums I'd like to hear. 

This works fine, but prevents me from seeing a selection playlist as I navigate through the library, which ideally I'd like to do.  (If I re-enable the selection playlist by using the default settings, then the double-click action sends the selected album to the currently-activated playlist--i.e., the selection playlist itself.  If I want to add an album to the currently-playing playlist, I have to select the album first, then select the currently-playing playlist, then right-click the album and select "add to current playlist."  Feels like a lot of work.)

I guess what I'd really like is the ability to send/add songs to the currently-playing playlist rather than the currently-activated playlist.  I'd like to use the selection playlist in a preview-only capacity, rather than as a container for actually-playing songs.  Meanwhile, I'd like a separate playlist to serve as the container of the albums to be played.

Does this make sense at all?  Am I asking for something stupid or impossible?  Can anyone recommend a combination of settings and usage that might work better for me?  Thanks!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #76
Ok.. I played a bit more with the syntax..
Hum I tried using "|" to display some multilevels, it isn't supported though.
Does it make sense as it does to me, to consider adding support for it in the future?

Are you aware of the ''Multiple Columns'' setting?

With this enabled, you may choose more than one attribute to be displayed in each facet.

It isn't necessary to make this component support the ''|'' separator.
You just have to enable ''Multiple Columns'' and choose how many attributes you desire. If the attributes you want to make use of are not present in the default list, simply add them yourself in Preferences > Media Library > Facets > Columns.

EDIT: I have one feature request of my own...

Right now, the ''Library'' option on the toolbar allows users to choose if they want Facets to work with the entire media library or just the currently playing playlist.
Would you consider adding an option to allow an instance of Facets to work with just one or several folders of the media library?

I want to use tabs + Facets to segregate my media files based on their type, e.g. audiobooks, classical, pop, etc. and it would be much more practical if you could restrict each instance of Facets to work with a particular part of your media library.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #77
ist it possible with the Filter, that more than one genre is shown, for example "folk" and "Folkrock" ?
Try something like %genre% HAS folk AND %genre% HAS folkrock. Or if you just want to know if something has multiple genres, "$greater($meta_num(genre),1)" PRESENT might work.

I'd like to use the selection playlist in a preview-only capacity, rather than as a container for actually-playing songs.
You could add an extra facet pane that shows tracks, and put single click action to none. It works well for me. Don't forget you can sort by a different column (e.g. artist|album|track). IMO this makes more sense if you just want somewhere to preview the selected tracks. Things should only go into a playlist if you're going to play them - that might just be me.

Would you consider adding an option to allow an instance of Facets to work with just one or several folders of the media library?
You could make up your own filters, like %path% HAS Audiobooks or something.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #78
I'd like to use the selection playlist in a preview-only capacity, rather than as a container for actually-playing songs.
You could add an extra facet pane that shows tracks, and put single click action to none. It works well for me. Don't forget you can sort by a different column (e.g. artist|album|track). IMO this makes more sense if you just want somewhere to preview the selected tracks. Things should only go into a playlist if you're going to play them - that might just be me.

Great suggestion--this works well for me.  Thanks much.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #79
These new Facets and SimPlaylist are a dream come true! Being an old-fashioned music lover, raised on 7" and LPs, I always associated songs with a record cover. Now I can browse, filter, select, display etc. with pictures. Thank you so much, Frank! 

Now I have a question: is there a way to have the text between parentheses not dimmed? I guess the logic is to have comments like "[1991 Remix]" or "{Unreleased Alternate}" displayed diffrently to differentiate them from the track title. And it's nice for brackets and braces. But I have hundreds of songs with parentheses in the title, like "(You Make Me Feel Like) a Natural Woman" or simply "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". In this case, all the text is part of the title and it just doesn't feel right to have it dimmed.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #80
@nosgah
Yes I was aware of the option, thanks.

@tpijag
Thanks for your answer tpyang, you're right. I somehow was attempting to do a mix of the two.. some facets with some levels...kind of crazy stuff
Anyway it seems that facets it's closer than album list to what I was trying to acomplish.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #81
Great job! I really like this plugin, and i think it is really useful for those who use the Default Interface.
The only thing I miss is the possibility of customizing the "statistics" columns. This plugin is the only one (at least, the only one I have seen) that can show details of a whole group of tracks (for example, the average bitrate of a folder), and there are others fields i'd like to include.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #82
The performance improvements are extremely noticeable with a large library. Thank you so much for this unexpected update to a brilliant component!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #83
Hello and thanks for this wonderful plugin!

I do have one request:

When typing a search and pressing the TAB key to move to the first pane, the keyboard-focus is at the header of this first pane (this is where the red outline is in the picture).
This makes it hard to see where the keyboard-focus currently is, but also, it forces me to always press the DOWN key before an item is even selected in the list.

Could this keypress be eliminated?
What I would like is the focus to be at the first artist (so not at the aggregate "All"). This is where the green outline is in the picture.

This same issue also occurs when I press the TAB key to go the next pane.

Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #84
Noticed a glitch with these new Facets builds — some artists still have the leading "The" in their names ("Artist" column). Can't figure out, what's the cause, rewrited tags, resorted — didn't help.
Old Facets worked ok.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #85
Hello Frank,
Thanks for this great update to Facets, works really nice.
One small bug I've noticed - when creating a column using default "Album" as data and displaying as "Album art (Right labels)", if there are more than one album in the column - choosing an album different from the first in list and pressing the up key to go up the list, everything works fine, aside from the first album, which cannot be selected this way - the selection highlight will only move up to the second album in list when using the up key.
Thanks again, Adam.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #86
Noticed a glitch with these new Facets builds — some artists still have the leading "The" in their names ("Artist" column).

Are you sure it is not all artists. From the docs:
Ignore leading "The" when sorting
Sorts items such as "The Beatles" among other entries starting with "B", while still displaying "The Beatles". Alternatively, columns can be changed to display "Beatles, The" or just "Beatles" by setting the pattern to, for example: $swapprefix(%artist%) or $stripprefix(%artist%), respectively.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #87
In can't change the sorting order of autoplaylists made with facets (1.0, beta 3). What am I missing?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #88
Is there any news about the bugs I mentioned in my previous posts ?
I didn't see anything with a similar description in the open bug list.
I'm available to provide more details or to do some additional testing.

Thanks.

Thanks for this new version Franck.

For the moment I've only noticed one strange thing with the beta 2. Sometimes, the panes remains empty whatever I type in the search field. I figured out that if I change the column of a pane results appears again in this pane.
It happened three times yesterday while I was changing my layout.

If I find exactly how to reproduce this I'll post it.

I had some time to try to understand the problem I mentioned.
Each time I close foobar and restart it, the content of the facets, SimPlaylist and SimPlaylist manager seems to disappear. But when multiple columns are present, after resizing one column, the content of the UI component appears.

I added some screenshots to illustrate.

Moreover for SimPlaylist the column headers have disappeared.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #89
Perhaps this has been answered already, but I'm wondering if Facets supports having two panes horizontally-oriented with a third pane vertically-oriented below the first two? In a "T" shape, so to speak. Or do all the panes only go in one direction?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #91
not sure what you are asking about. What does the
  • do? What component has one in a search text box?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #92
not sure what you are asking about. What does the
  • do? What component has one in a search text box?

Think it was the Media Library search. When setting it to sort by folder structure, there would be a
  • to the left of each album title. Clicking it would display the individual tracks indented underneath the album title, and the
  • would change to a [-] for collapsing.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #93
You're thinking of the album list. It's not a search, but just a library viewer, like facets is but based on a different type of view (tree v.s linked lists). It has a filter that works like the one in facets, but it doesn't change the type of view you get.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #95
Is there really a need for that question. Clearly stated above, facets presents library as linked lists not a tree. What is the reluctance to just loading a component and personally determining it's usefulness for your workflow. It is painless.

Anyone know if I can change colors in facets.  [rhetorical, no need for answer]

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #96
No, facets is a set of cascading lists. What you can do is set a new column to the right of Albums called Tracks (using %title%). When you click on an album, the Tracks column is populated with tracks for that album.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #97
I did some searching but did not find what I was looking for, so I hope someone can simply tell me how to create a column with facets, that finds all artists from a common alphabetical letter, i.e selecting "M" to find Metallica, Madonna.. etc.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #98
$left(%artist%,1)

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #99
Great! Thanks.