Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavpack.exe Slow on AMD Ryzen (Read 17653 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Wavpack.exe Slow on AMD Ryzen

Reply #25
Maybe this is something that would benefit from having a path for the newer FMA instructions? You know, fixed multiply-add.

Maybe you could PM me an uploaded copy of your test.wav and I can see how my Ryzen 7 2700 handles it?

Reply #26
The profile confirms that the loop identified earlier is where all time is spent in, but the per-instruction sampling doesn't look like it can be accurate. You''ll likely need CodeXL or something like that to get per-instruction data.

Reply #27
Samuel Neves has pointed out that the loop in question is *faster* on Ryzen than it is on Haswell:
https://gcc.godbolt.org/z/ZhKJkE

Assuming everything is in cache! Some bad cache interaction or access pattern that is fooling the prefetcher?

If you can reproduce it on some .wav that you can share, I can have a look on my machine.

Reply #28
I see the same thing no matter what wav file I'm processing. It's not peculiar to any particular wav. Everything I've been processing (over 150 of them so far) is a 500 - 800 MB 44.1 MHz 16-bit wav from a CD. If other people are not seeing the same issue on their Ryzen machines, then something else is going on. I'm just not sure how that could be when the one core is fully-loaded and running at 4.5GHz. That's as fast as she can go.

Reply #29
I tested a 460M WAV file with the settings you gave on my 3900X.

The file encoded in 76s, at 4 GHz (the machine was loaded so no 4.5GHz boost...).

A friend with an i7-4771 tested the same file.

The file encoded in 92s, at 3.7 GHz.

That's both using the release binary from the WavPack site. My conclusion is that OP fucked up and you aren't using the same settings or binary on both machines, i.e. that the i7-4770 machine is using a lower compression preset. Or you magically have a Haswell machine that is twice as fast as anyone else's...

Reply #30
Ran a quick test with the hardware I had up and running:

• Ryzen 3900X, Win10 x64, memory at 3600 MHz - created Crispy - Psilicon Dreams.wv in 114.20 secs (lossless, 41.45%)
  • i7 8700K, Ubuntu 18.04, memory at 2400 MHz - created ./Crispy - Psilicon Dreams.wv in 134.53 secs (lossless, 41.45%)

743MB WAV, converted from a 320kbps MP3 with foobar2000
http://splendidbeats.com/psilicon-dreams-nov-2009/
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #31
Maybe this is something that would benefit from having a path for the newer FMA instructions? You know, fixed multiply-add.

Maybe you could PM me an uploaded copy of your test.wav and I can see how my Ryzen 7 2700 handles it?

AVX2 I think since lossless is mostly integer. optimization for modern instruction sets would be nice in a lot of encoders.

Reply #32
Only not-nice for Intel processors, where AVX/AVX2/AVX512 actually push the CPU's TDP to 150-200%. Still plenty nice for AMD processors that support the relevant instruction sets, which is AVX and AVX2.