Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 6Channel sample test! (Read 4994 times) previous topic - next topic

6Channel sample test!

I seem to be having a problem converting a 6 channel wav file to a 6 channel Vorbis or aac file.

The problem is that the channels are not outputting from the correct speakers once encoded even though the original wav file plays perfectly!

I have attached a 6 channel sample file for you to try out.  The attached 7z file contains the original wav file compressed with flac.  Please try playing the file I have included and let me know what you here, whether it plays correctly or not.  Then using the original flac file, try encoding to:

1. 6ch Ogg Vorbis - q5
2. 6ch aac - Transparent/Standard

Now play the encoded files and let us know what you hear, or do you still get the same results as the original flac file?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

This is not a test to determine which codec has better quality.

6Channel sample test!

Reply #1
AAC has different channel ordering than WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE.

Latest Nero encoder reorders the channels correctly. Newest Foobar and winamp plugins reorder them back correctly.

Menno

6Channel sample test!

Reply #2

Why? and don't tell me Ogg is different again...

I suppose 5.1 is still very much cutting edge, as far as audio is concerned (DVD videos are the exception).

6Channel sample test!

Reply #3

Why?

Because it says so in the AAC standard. AAC was there before WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE, so kick MS

Menno

6Channel sample test!

Reply #5
Thanks menno

How about Ogg Vorbis, will that ever be changed like aac so it can support 5.1 channels the correct or incorrect way