Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using MP3Gain or Wavegain on lame mp3 files. (Read 4210 times) previous topic - next topic

Using MP3Gain or Wavegain on lame mp3 files.

I'm interested in having the option of either applying track gain and/or album gain to mp3 tracks.  Is there any setting to use for either of these replaygain methods on mp3 tracks automatically during the EAC ripping process?

I know that Wavegain is applied directly to the wave files before compression.  I'm guessing that this would be the best option (although it is irreversible). 

I tried running MP3Gain on some already compressed mp3 files but got this error:

I'd really like to be able to run either of these processes without using a 3rd party program (REACT, Wack, etc..).  The reason I would like to do this is to be able to have an EAC log with my compression parameters (-V 2 --vbr-new) and the lame version (3.97 b2), which I cannot get with either of the aforementioned programs.  At this point, I'm guessing that mp3gain and wavegain processes will not be reflected in the EAC log file, but I still would like either of these being performed along with the extraction and compression processes.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Reply #1
I'd really like to be able to run either of these processes without using a 3rd party program (REACT, Wack, etc..).  The reason I would like to do this is to be able to have an EAC log with my compression parameters (-V 2 --vbr-new) and the lame version (3.97 b2), which I cannot get with either of the aforementioned programs.
I'm sure you could just append information to the command line passed to REACT or WACK.  Both applications will only look for the first N parameters, and you can do what you want with any subsequent parameters.

You could even use REACT, and most likely WACK, to append any text that you want to the log file, i.e.: let EAC write the log file as normal, and then append as many additional lines to the bottom of the file as you want.  This would be my preferred solution.

I'm interested in having the option of either applying track gain and/or album gain to mp3 tracks.  Is there any setting to use for either of these replaygain methods on mp3 tracks automatically during the EAC ripping process?
REACT is all set up to use WavGain to obtain the scale value to use on the LAME command line (to permanently decrease the volume).

Either way you go about this you are going to have to juggle a few apps, passing values about.  I can't see how you can do it without an intermediary application like REACT, WACK or MAREO.

I'm sure you could quite easily get REACT, with GLOB, to run MP3Gain on the MP3 files created.  I made a suggestion here a while back, but I've never tried it.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
You could even use REACT, and most likely WACK, to append any text that you want to the log file, i.e.: let EAC write the log file as normal, and then append as many additional lines to the bottom of the file as you want.  This would be my preferred solution.

Can the addition of this appended text be automated using additional parameters within either the React.ini file or within EAC or do I have to add this information manually to a pre-existing log file?  If it can be automated, what parameters do I use?  Thanks.

Reply #3
You can do this as part of the commands in your REACT config file (e.g.: "\REACT\Config\LAME-tracks.txt") e.g.:

Code: [Select]
REM Add blank line to log
ECHO.>>"@eaclog@"
REM Add ripping and encoding information to log
ECHO Ripped using Exact Audio Copy version 0.95 beta 4>>"@eaclog@"
ECHO Encoded with LAME 3.97b2 using -V 2 --vbr-new>>"@eaclog@"
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
You can do this as part of the commands in your REACT config file (e.g.: "\REACT\Config\LAME-tracks.txt") e.g.:

REM Add blank line to log
ECHO.>>"@eaclog@"
REM Add ripping and encoding information to log

Here's my config file for mp3 tracks:

!Description=LAME -V2 mp3 track files, RG album gain, APE2 and id3v1 tags

!destdir1=@musicdir@\MP3\$cdartist$\($year$) $album$
!dest1=@destdir1@\$track$ - $title$
!Various-dest1=@destdir1@\$track$ - $title$ ($artist$)

echo.> "@dest1@.mp3.tmp"
@encdir@\Tag.exe --nocheck --ape2 -t "ARTIST=@artist@" -t "ALBUM=@album@" -t "TRACK=@track@" -t "TITLE=@title@" -t "YEAR=@year@" -t "GENRE=@genre@" -t "TOTALTRACKS=@numtracks@" -t "FREEDB=@freedbid@" -t "CRC=@crc@" "@dest1@.mp3.tmp"
move "@source@" "@dest1@.wav"

ECHO.>>"@eaclog@"

if @islast@==1 (
  move "@eaclog@" "@destdir1@\eaclog.txt"
  move "@trackscuesheet@.[*].cue" "@destdir1@"
  start @encdir@\albumart.exe "@artist@" "@album@" "@destdir1@\cover.jpg"
  cd /d "@destdir1@"
  @encdir@\WaveGain.exe -a *.wav --exec @encdir@\lame.exe -V2 --vbr-new --scale %%ALBUM_SCALE%% --tc "AG appl:%%ALBUM_GAIN%%,TG:%%TRACK_GAIN%% dB" "%%INPUT_NAME%%.wav" "%%INPUT_NAME%%.mp3"
  for %%i in (*.mp3) do @encdir@\Tag.exe --force id3v1 --force ape2 --fromfile "%%i.tmp" "%%i"
  del "*.mp3.tmp" "*.wav"
)

Is the placement of the code that you provided sufficient?  Also, I removed the lines beginning w/ REM because I'm guessing they were just to inform me of what the subsequent text was telling React to do.

Let me know.  Thank you.

Reply #5
<paperclip mode>It looks like you are ripping to tracks... </paperclip mode>

If so, I would put the lines here:

if @islast@==1 (
  ECHO.>>"@eaclog@"
  move "@eaclog@" "@destdir1@\eaclog.txt"
  move "@trackscuesheet@.[*].cue" "@destdir1@"

Edit: As it stood, the lines would have been added for each track (i.e.: ten times on a ten track album).  They will only get written once (on processing the last track) where I have placed them.

And yes, the lines beginning REM were just comments.
I'm on a horse.