Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for LAME tester utility (Read 3154 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for LAME tester utility

I remember a couple of years back, there was a utility that would analyze all the mp3s on your HD and determine what version of LAME compile was used. 

Does it still exist?

If not, is there anything else that has replaced it?

Thanks...

Reply #1
the two most popular are
- EncSpot (still)
- Mr QuestionMan
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #3
Mr Q is supposedly better at determining the encoder (and settings) used, but encspot also has the bitrate histogram display and other info.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #4
Mr Q is supposedly better at determining the encoder (and settings) used, but encspot also has the bitrate histogram display and other info.

no, EncSpot is way better in determining the encoder. They are equally good when it comes to recent Lame versions, since there is no guessing part involved. Mr. Q does not have any (good) guessing engine built in. However, Mr. Q. does display the setting that has been used (if stored in the Lame-Header). EncSpot does not display the setting, but it tells you all the values so one with some experience can figure it out by looking at those. EncSpot has nice graphs etc...for that reason, I'm using both programs
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'