Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best price/value DAC's (Read 35855 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best price/value DAC's

Reply #50

And then? I don't have a DAC.

What?  No phone, no music player, no tablet, no PC. no CD player?

I kind of doubt it. Which do you already have?  They all have DACs inside.

Reply #51
I don't think the ODAC revB was mentioned yet (PCM5102A, about $150).

And then there are quite a few professional audio interfaces with respectable performance, such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen line starting from about $100.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #52
let's assume my installation slightly colors the reference signal. Than I would hear the colored signal (if that coloration is hearable at all). However, I would not know how the undistorted signal sounds. To measure the full distortion (if I had the proper equipment for that) I would have to record the sound with a microphone near my speaker. This recordingproces in itself would create some distortion of which I don't know wether it is hearable or not. Than I would have to replay that recording and I don't know how much impact the extra distortion has on an allready distorded signal. If I hear a difference than where does that come from, my installation or the recording. If I don't hear a difference does that mean there is no distortion or just that the difference between single or double distortion is not hearable? You see the methodological problem?

A microphone is used when you want to check the distortion of the speakers themselves.

If you want to record the distortion from your amp, you have to do the loopback test from the speaker output of your amp while you have a load (resistor) connected to the amp (close to the impedance of your speakers). However there's a detail, It is usually performed with a 1W load, that's 2.82 Vrms for a 8 Ohm resistor, 2.82 Vrms is certainly going to saturate the line in of your computer, so you will need to create a voltage divider to attenuate the signal at the line in.

Here's how you connect everything: Diagram

I don't know the input impedance of the line in of your PC, The attenuation might be more than needed if it turns out to have a <10K Zin, which is unlikely.

Notice that I did not connect the ground of the output of the speaker amp to the ground of the line in, that's because there's already a ground connection established between the line in and line out of your PC, the amp's ground is already connected to the line out ground of the PC. However, always check, if the output of your amp is isolated, then you will need do that connection.
I appreciate this explanation, however this is all getting much to complicated for me. Sorry.

Reply #53

And then? I don't have a DAC.

What?  No phone, no music player, no tablet, no PC. no CD player?

I kind of doubt it. Which do you already have?  They all have DACs inside.

Please read the entire thread, before giving a comment like this. At that point in time I thought we were talking about an external DAC, because that was the reason in the first place why I had started this thread.

Reply #54
I apologise. I fell into the habit of recommending a particular solution based on my subjective experience. And the thing I love about this place is that it requires you to research and decide things for yourself, but gives great ideas on ways you can do this. The posts above on abx are great examples of this. 

Consider you have two separate issues: one is transport, or how to make your music files available to devices in your home, and the other is digital to analogue conversion. The latter is covered by the abx discussion above. For the former look at eg UPNP server software, apple equivalents etc. It seems you already have most of what you need but I apologise if I have unintentionally sent you in a wrong direction.
I still think you came closest and with the cheapest solution. But hey, if anybody has a better idea I will listen to it with an open mind (and ears).

Reply #55
(1) Because there are over 500 different DACs on the market, and the odds that I'd have a DAC that you are interested in is extremely low unless it is a very common one.
That's an assumption. And assumptions are the mother of all ......... And also recently people have informed me that assumptions is not what this forum is all about.
(2) Because audible differences between DACs is usually a well-known audiophile myth
Clearly that is not well known in most forums I have read on DAC's. And strangely enough that was certainly not the first clear answer I got after I opened this thread.

Reply #56
If possible I would like to get on topic again. That is find the best solution for my home situation (which possibly is also recognizable for others). I allready got some helpfull input from Saragota, Phoenix1, Greynol, finphil and apesbrain. Hope to get more. I will weight all the info I get especially when underpinned with decent prove (like ABX tests, or personal experience of workability and stability of certain setups) .

Reply #57
Clearly that is not well known in most forums I have read on DAC's.
Right...  That's the unique thing about HydrogenAudio!    All the Audiophile nonsense is filtered out...  Before you can claim that one DAC (or anything else) sounds better than another you have to perform a proper scientific, blind, level matched, listening test to demonstrate that you can really hear a difference.

And strangely enough that was certainly not the first clear answer I got after I opened this thread.
Read between the lines.   ;)   He's saying that a $40 interface is probably fine, although it's headphone amplifier can use some improvement.     (And, if you dig in and follow the links you'll find a scientific/engineering explanation of what's going on with the headphone amp without any meaningless audiophile terminology...  He talks about voltage, power, frequency response, etc., and avoids terms like "detail" or "openness" that seem to have some meaning, but they are not clearly defined and cannot be measured.)

Reply #58
(1) Because there are over 500 different DACs on the market, and the odds that I'd have a DAC that you are interested in is extremely low unless it is a very common one.
That's an assumption. And assumptions are the mother of all ......... And also recently people have informed me that assumptions is not what this forum is all about.

Don't be condescending just because you dislike the answer. Arnold is right.  There is almost zero chance of anyone being able to answer that question.

(2) Because audible differences between DACs is usually a well-known audiophile myth
Clearly that is not well known in most forums I have read on DAC's. And strangely enough that was certainly not the first clear answer I got after I opened this thread.

Really?  You were told this immediately:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112803.msg928863.html#msg928863

Reply #59
Just to add a couple of cents to the pot so that we can hopefully get on with assisting the OP on the main thrust of his topic...

It has been insinuated that double blind testing isn't workable because interconnects have their own sound.  In other discussions it has been posited that all components impart a signature sound.  While I don't know that the OP has fallen into this rabbit hole, I'd like to briefly address it, and while it might appear to some that I'm setting up a straw man, I am definitely not.

The mantra here is that all things controversial in nature are assumed to sound the same until demonstrated otherwise.

Unless you have incompetently designed or otherwise broken equipment or are operating it beyond rated specifications, transducers and your listening environment are going to be your source of coloration. Cables are not, though these can be tested a well.  There are plenty of discussions on how you test various pieces of hardware available if you look for them.

If someone tells you a cable or some other unlikely component has a sound, ask for evidence. The burden of proof lies on the individual claiming a difference, not the person skeptical of the claim.  ABX tests are designed to reveal differences.  Failed tests are not intended to be held as proof that there are no differences.  An absence of objective evidence in the wake of unsubstantiated claims speaks volumes, however.  It is a shame that some online communities forbid requests for objective evidence, though this is understandable when they (or their owners) either sell products or receive funding from companies or individuals who sell products that are snake oil.

Reply #60

Really?  You were told this immediately:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112803.msg928863.html#msg928863

I have to agree with you on that at that point one person was clear about it. However one person doesn't count as common opinion. So at that point the common opinion on this was certainly not clear to me. And still isn't fully because on other forums there are many who would disagree. It is very hard for me to verify who is right (You will probably respond ABX, and on that point we both agree).  However, by now I am getting the feel of the common opinion on this forum. ;)

Reply #61
Some individuals/communities do not adhere to the principles of scientific discovery.

Equating the position of a community that adheres to these principles as simply an opinion is quite wrong of you.

Reply #62
Just to add a couple of cents to the pot so that we can hopefully get on with assisting the OP on the main thrust of his topic...

It has been insinuated that double blind testing isn't workable because interconnects have their own sound.  In other discussions it has been posited that all components impart a signature sound.  While I don't know that the OP has fallen into this rabbit hole, I'd like to briefly address it, and while it might appear to some that I'm setting up a straw man, I am definitely not.

The mantra here is that all things controversial in nature are assumed to sound the same until demonstrated otherwise.

Unless you have incompetently designed or otherwise broken equipment or are operating it beyond rated specifications, transducers and your listening environment are going to be your source of coloration. Cables are not, though these can be tested a well.  There are plenty of discussions on how you test various pieces of hardware available if you look for them.

If someone tells you a cable or some other unlikely component has a sound, ask for evidence. The burden of proof lies on the individual claiming a difference, not the person skeptical of the claim.  ABX tests are designed to reveal differences.  Failed tests are not intended to be held as proof that there are no differences.  An absence of objective evidence in the wake of unsubstantiated claims speaks volumes, however.  It is a shame that some online communities forbid requests for objective evidence, though this is understandable when they (or their owners) either sell products or receive funding from companies or individuals who sell products that are snake oil.
I totally agree with this forums demand for prove. And as an academic I strongly believe in double-blind testing. I also have my doubt on various claims in the audio-branch. That's why I don't just read ad's but visit forums in the hope that people with live listening experience with certain components can advise me on that. I just just don't have the time nor the money to investigate everything. I do know that I could hear a clear difference between my earlier audio-sets and my current, already 17 years old Rotel, set. And I believe it is a legitimate question weather other component like DAC have comparable differences in quality. However, if technology all-ready has evolved so much that everything on the market is good enough than I will be the first to embrace that. But if not than I hope you will help me to prevent buying a pig in a poke

Reply #63
I do know that I could hear a clear difference between my earlier audio-sets and my current, already 17 years old Rotel, set.
On its face this falls under a breach of TOS #8, but since it is vague and may have involved something noncontroversial to this community, I'll extend to you the benefit of the doubt.

In general you should not be offering the above quoted to this community unless you are also prepared to provide objective evidence in accordance with TOS #8.

Reply #64
...  However, by now I am getting the feel of the common opinion on this forum. ;)
I suppose that is one way of saying finding out how things work here. That is necessary when entering any group, online or off. Entering this one for the first time, it may be a little tough to get to grips with the differences. This is just not one of those other audio forums where people express opinions or feelings about Box A and Box B. It just isn't. That is enshrined in the rules (TOS) as has been pointed out to you. This community just does not have long, heated arguments about Box A being warmer, or Box B being more resolving. It just doesn't. The closest it gets to that is sometimes discussing other people doing it, or pointing out to a newcomer, occasionally at length, that it doesn't.

My personal (subjective ;) ) view is that I use this place as a technical resource (real technology) and a sanity check. If the not-so-sane part of me wants to wallow in all that subjective stuff or, even, just listen to other people's opinions, there are, as you say, many other internet places where we can do that.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #65
That's an assumption.

Wrong.  There were two claims there, and  your answer is in the singular. 

Wrong a second time, because the statement that are are over 500 DACs on the market is based on a published market study that  I happened to stumble over about a month ago.

Just saying that something isnt't so doesn't make it false without reliable proof. Got any? I didn't think so.

Wrong a third time based on simple statistics. If there are 100's of DACs (For another example, a well known pro audio dealer B&H has about 150 different DACs listed in his online store) on the market place then the odds are very tiny that  the same random collection of just a few products would be owned by two or more individuals posting on the same tiny forum.

And assumptions are the mother of all ........

In fact you have already shown that you have nothing but assumptions to back your claims up., and ditto for the earlier post of mine that you tried to trash on similarly specious grounds.  You are making me bad about telling you the truth about most DACs sounding pretty much the same.

Reply #66
That's an assumption.

Wrong.  There were two claims there, and  your answer is in the singular. 

Wrong a second time, because the statement that are are over 500 DACs on the market is based on a published market study that  I happened to stumble over about a month ago.

Just saying that something isnt't so doesn't make it false without reliable proof. Got any? I didn't think so.

Wrong a third time based on simple statistics. If there are 100's of DACs (For another example, a well known pro audio dealer B&H has about 150 different DACs listed in his online store) on the market place then the odds are very tiny that  the same random collection of just a few products would be owned by two or more individuals posting on the same tiny forum.

And assumptions are the mother of all ........

In fact you have already shown that you have nothing but assumptions to back your claims up., and ditto for the earlier post of mine that you tried to trash on similarly specious grounds.  You are making me bad about telling you the truth about most DACs sounding pretty much the same.

Seldom have I had to put so much energy on a forum as a response to this kind of aggressiveness. Doesn't give me a very good feeling nor about this forum.  Help people instead of harassing them. If you do you will find in me someone with an open academic mind. I am not going to respond to this sort of non constructive response anymore. Get on topic please.

Reply #67
I do know that I could hear a clear difference between my earlier audio-sets and my current, already 17 years old Rotel, set.
On its face this falls under a breach of TOS #8, but since it is vague and may have involved something noncontroversial to this community, I'll extend to you the benefit of the doubt.

In general you should not be offering the above quoted to this community unless you are also prepared to provide objective evidence in accordance with TOS #8.
Sorry I am not able to objectively prove what I clearly heared. I also clearly hear a difference between my audioset and music coming from my iphone speaker. Nobody has to believe me for that and I can't prove it to you since we probably live miles apart and your ears aren't mine. What I don't understand is that under these conditions it becomes almost impossible to share each others opinions. How would it be if I would ask you guys to back up every claim you made with scientific valid prove? The dialogue would soon end. Instead I prefer to show interest in your claims and see whether others agree. Of course I am interested in prove but I am against religious zeal in demanding it. I'm a scientist that likes to keep an open mind. That's why I am interested even in subjective opinions. Afterwards we can always talk about the scientific soundness of those claims, but I tend to refrain from harrassing people upfront just because these claims are subjective. Because as a scientist I know better then most that real objectivity does not exist. It just depends on how accurate you want the numbers to be before you accept them as truth. Nowadays most proof is accepted on the basis of statistic correlation. That does not always means that what is accepted that way always ends up being the truth.

Reply #68
Sure, but the more outlandish the claim the stronger evidence you should provide. That a smartphone speaker sounds different than a headset is a trivial claim. In Bayesian terms, the prior probability of this claim being true is very high, so it should come at no surprise that you wouldn't even get a comment on that.
Hearing fine differences™ between DACs that perform much better than any speaker to the point of exceeding established limits of hearing is guaranteed to get challenged, as it should. Prior probability is going to be low, so you need some good evidence. If you then added expressions like "day/night difference" you'd just further raise the bar.

It is really rather simple: either put effort into testing whether your beliefs are true and provide that evidence with your claims, or simply refrain from making such claims in the first place.

"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #69
Sorry I am not able to objectively prove what I clearly heared.
People "clearly" hear all sorts of things that are completely imagined when performing uncontrolled listening tests.  It doesn't matter how acute your listening or objective you think you are, it is the way the human brain works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

I also clearly hear a difference between my audioset and music coming from my iphone speaker.
This isn't controversial.

Nobody has to believe me for that and I can't prove it to you since we probably live miles apart and your ears aren't mine.
Irrelevant.  TOS8 says you then need to shut the fuck up.

What I don't understand is that under these conditions it becomes almost impossible to share each others opinions.
For people who are incapable of creating objective tests, yes.  And if you can't then your opinion isn't worth the electricity used to generate and preserve it.

How would it be if I would ask you guys to back up every claim you made with scientific valid prove?
You are welcome to, though you need to understand where the burden of proof lies.  It is not up to us to disprove posited claims that microscopic pink elephants are in orbit around the planet Uranus sipping tea.

The dialogue would soon end.
Because they do not generate meaningful discussion about reality they ought to be stopped dead in their tracks.

Instead I prefer to show interest in your claims and see whether others agree.
Science isn't based on majority opinion.

Of course I am interested in prove but I am against religious zeal in demanding it. I'm a scientist that likes to keep an open mind.
It doesn't sound like you're a scientist, or at least not one who is actually interested in separating opinion from fact.  Anyway, TOS8 is the law around here and you are expected to follow it.

Reply #70
Sure, but the more outlandish the claim the stronger evidence you should provide. That a smartphone speaker sounds different than a headset is a trivial claim. In Bayesian terms, the prior probability of this claim being true is very high, so it should come at no surprise that you wouldn't even get a comment on that.
Hearing fine differences™ between DACs that perform much better than any speaker to the point of exceeding established limits of hearing is guaranteed to get challenged, as it should. Prior probability is going to be low, so you need some good evidence. If you then added expressions like "day/night difference" you'd just further raise the bar.
This I can understand. Although I am of the opinion that there is a clear difference in stating that "I hear a difference" and stating that "there is a difference". From the first statement I would never ever ask prove. From the latter you should alsways ask prove. And it's the inability to make that difference which to my humble opinion is going wrong on this forum. As soon as you say "I hear" or "I believe" on this forum they start demanding for prove. Of course there is nothing wrong with asking for it, but demanding it and forbidding people to make commands like that is an entirely different thing.

It is really rather simple: either put effort into testing whether your beliefs are true and provide that evidence with your claims, or simply refrain from making such claims in the first place.
I rest my case!!!

Reply #71
... I am of the opinion that there is a clear difference in stating that "I hear a difference" and stating that "there is a difference". From the first statement I would never ever ask prove. From the latter you should alsways ask prove. And it's the inability to make that difference which to my humble opinion is going wrong on this forum. As soon as you say "I hear" or "I believe" on this forum they start demanding for prove. Of course there is nothing wrong with asking for it, but demanding it and forbidding people to make commands like that is an entirely different thing.

It's those sorts of seemingly harmless opinions which have turned high-end audio into what it is today.

If you simply want to purchase a fancy DAC, by all means do that: Aesthetics, features and form factors might make things more convenient and enjoyable to use. I myself own a Stereophile Class A-rated DAC which boasts amazing measured performance and have purchased or assembled a number of others. But aside from test bench results, it turns out that reasonably well-designed DACs really do sound pretty much the same. Wolfson, ESS, Tenor, Burr-Brown: As long as you build a pretty good product around them, they have no signature sound.

The problem with your opinion: You assume that you actually hear what you think you hear. When in fact your perceptions are colored by all manner of factors such as your mood at the time. If I were to repackage and present my $40 Behringer really really well, I have no doubt I could convince someone they were hearing a $10K++ product.

Reply #72
Wolfson, ESS, Tenor, Burr-Brown: As long as you build a pretty good product around them, they have no signature sound.
I would not know but I would love to believe you. But since this is a clear statement according to TOS8# I am now forced to ask you (whether I like it or not) for prove of this claim. As they call it over here: Put up or shut up.
And now you made a statement that forces you by act of TOS8# to prove to me that I don't hear what I hear!!!
You were also told that the burden of proof falls on those who claim audible differences.  Seeing that 4season has done no such thing, you are clearly in the wrong on this.  There have already been several attempts to clue you into this concept and they have either been brushed aside or have all flown over your head.  If you are indeed a scientist then I see adequate justification for classifying this behavior as trolling.

I still hear what I hear and I believe you won't be able to prove the contrary.
Since we have no way of knowing whether what you heard wasn't also influenced by non-audible factors we aren't interested in reading about it.

please don't tell me I have to prove what I hear
Please don't post in violation of TOS8 so that our members don't have to.

Reply #73
Oh, and another thing, since you people don't believe what you hear you might as well throw your ABX-test into the dustbin.
I'm saving this one from the dustbin for the irony.

Reply #74
Oh, and another thing, since you people don't believe what you hear you might as well throw your ABX-test into the dustbin.
I'm saving this one from the dustbin for the irony.

Makes me feel so much better because it is proof that he did not benefit in the slightest from the fine efforts that were made in good faith to educate him. Sine he did so many of the usual things that hogs do when presented with pearls,  he did not benefit from our efforts on his behalf.

Being that stupid and arrogant takes some work, but he was clearly up to it!

I suspect he was trolling the web and thought that he would impress us with his abilities to drop the names of the high end audiophile/placebophile latest/greatest toys.