Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC-DAE Quality (Read 7966 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC-DAE Quality

I come  to the DRIVE OPTIONS in EAC and in  Your guide at the :C2 Error Info/Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error information section you wrote:"test determines whether the drive can actually report an uncorrectable error. Neither test can be used to determine whether the setting can be used reliably" on EAC tests.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...C_Drive_Options

It's all right and you gave a link for further check.
this one:  http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/...ts/dae-quality/

But the explanation there is so cumbersome ,Can someone tell me what I should do?
Do not get me wrong The manual part is very clear but But what am I supposed to do with the disc? Burn it with EAC? And then what? try to extract?

who said EAC easy?
This software drives me crazy...

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #1
Let's put it this way:
Where can I find DAE tests Appropriate to my CD DRIVE?
LG GH22NS DVD RW  22X Black Sata

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #2
yonatan, I'm sure you're feeling let down by the forum but it's disappointing for those who would like to help you that we don't really understand your issue.

I have essentially the same setup as you:
- Windows 7 Ultimate (x64, in my case)
- EAC V1.0 beta
- LG GH24NS50 drive

It rips CDs just fine.

If you elect to use an outdated version of EAC that's your choice.  As long as it detects your CD drive then you likely have no issues with interface.  Run the Configuration Wizard and let EAC setup AccurateRip and detect your drive features.  Go to "EAC > EAC Options > General" and check "Show status dialog after extraction".

Now set Extraction Method (EAC > Drive Options...) to "Burst" and rip a CD:
- If all tracks report a match to AccurateRip, you're done.
- If some tracks report an AccurateRip mismatch or there are some tracks which report read errors, then try to rip those tracks again using "Secure" mode.
- If no tracks match AccurateRip then you have a unique pressing and should rip all tracks again in "Test & Copy" mode.  This rips each track twice and compares the resulting CRCs to see if they match.  If they do, you're good.

To make things easier you can save "Burst" and "Secure" as Profiles and then easily switch between them using the drop-down at the bottom of the EAC window.  (Be aware that V.99 Profiles can not be migrated to V1.0.)

If you're concerned about your drive's ability to properly report C2 errors, then just turn this feature off.

If you don't have a full-time internet connection and can't use AccurateRip, then default to "Test & Copy" mode.

Do these things and then post back with specific questions.  Good luck.

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #4
If you elect to use an outdated version of EAC that's your choice.

V0.99pb5 is hardly out-dated.  In fact, I would recommend to those who do not need unicode or integrated artwork not to bother with upgrading.

- If no tracks match AccurateRip then you have a unique pressing and should rip all tracks again in "Test & Copy" mode.

There is no need to perform test and copy; simply performing a test pass should be sufficient, though if you get the "different pressing" message then I'd probably just run the files through CueTools.  If you're starting in burst mode and have reason to suspect there are issues with the rip then switch to secure mode and perform T&C if using C2 pointers or a simple copy if not using C2 pointers.

That said, the point of this discussion is about whether C2 pointers are trustworthy.  This is already addressed in the wiki article that was cited in the initial post.  Allow me to quote the part relevant to this discussion:
You may be able to determine if your drive's C2 reporting is reliable in EAC by using DAE Quality. This involves creating a special CD and testing it.

Unless you know that you can use this setting reliably, disable it. If you choose to enable it, make sure you also rely on either Test & Copy or AccurateRip.
It says you may; it does not say you must.  Considering that this is cumbersome and might not even work with some drives, I'd say forget about it and move to the next paragraph which was written explicitly for people like the OP.  The first sentence of that paragraph was written to appease the more fearful among us.  I actually regret leaving it as it is and might actually change it.  It is the next sentence that provides the true answer to this discussion:
If you choose to enable it, make sure you also rely on either Test & Copy or AccurateRip.

As the article makes it readily clear that C2 pointers results in data only being read once, it should be apparent that additional verification is needed to help ensure that errors have not gone unreported by way of either AccurateRip or a second pass over the CD through the use of a test rip (either separately or as part of the Test & Copy procedure).

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #7
IMHO its more user friendly

Good luck with that.

Seriously, I agree with greynol. I have always found EAC's settings to be horribly confusing, but dBPowerAmp is even worse (and I'm saying this as someone who bought it and uses it).

which part of dbpoweramp is confusing? I thought it is fairly easy to use and navigate.

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #8
dbpoweramp has more setting and tweaks you CAN get to, and that is where greynol is coming from. However, for the average user, dBpoweramp is pretty good to go out of the gate without worrying about all of those settings.

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #9
Maybe I should buy a new CD drive...
Which drive would you recommend?
Good drive C2 reporting for sure ,Accurate for sure,drive that does not cause problems.
that it Price will be around 75-100%.

what that http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm means?
What I can understand from it about my CD drive?
Is it about AccurateRip and c2 rporting?
(on my drive they wrote +667)

You have to understand it is very difficult for someone not familiar with audio in various fields to understand many things related to audio.

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #10
dBpoweramp is pretty good to go out of the gate without worrying about all of those settings.

As is EAC!!!

Anyway, I have serious doubts that OP will have any more intuitive of an understanding of dBpoweramp than he does with EAC.  As I've said before, most people who feel comfortable configuring dBpoweramp have already cut their teeth on EAC.  Those who are new to advanced ripping would be just as lost with dBpoweramp as they would be with EAC.

Insofar that EAC would rely on a drive's C2 pointers by default, however, Eli is absolutely right.  The Reference version of dBpoweramp does alleviate much of the concern with drives that fail to report all uncorrectable errors.  The same is true for CUERipper, a free alternative.  That said, a second CRC or positive AR results (even against an alternate pressing using something like CUETools) also alleviates much of the concern with drives that fail to report uncorrectable errors with EAC or any other program that makes use of C2 pointers.

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #11
Apesbrain What do you marked in  this particular part "Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error information" in DRIVE options?

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #12
Are you looking for something other than his response from a few days ago?  http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=748625

Here is relevant part, in case you missed it.
If you're concerned about your drive's ability to properly report C2 errors, then just turn this feature off.

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #13
He didnt wrote what he marked and we have the same cd drive.

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #14
Never mind, I guess you will have to wait for him to give you exact instructions to follow

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #15
There is  a cd  drive (if I buy new one) you can say for sure that performs c2 accurateRIP and so on?

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #18
So if I buy the PLEXTOR - CD-R PX-230A  drive I do not have to do the DAE, AccurateRip tests and so on?
or  I'll have to do them anyway?

EAC-DAE Quality

Reply #19
@yonatan
The drive you already have is probably perfectly fine as long as you rely upon AccurateRip. If you don't trust the drive itself you could always do Test&Copy in Burst Mode, and any tracks that AccurateRip states aren't ripped correctly you could then rip in Secure Mode.