Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC V0.95 beta 4 released (Read 70426 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC V0.95 beta 4 released

Reply #50
... and for the version after that I will try to implement Unicode support for freedb queries and main window display and edit...

... I'm waiting for unicode support...  it will be very usefull: THANKS!!!

damjang

Reply #51
I'm a bit shocked by this "anticipatory obedience".
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365987"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just of curiosity: can recording labels be sued in some way for selling broken CDs and not giving an alternative (standard-compliant products)? Probably they are just using monopolistic advantage to force customers to buy media that is not compatible with Philips Rainbow books, so customers' rights are probably violated?

What if they will start printing (paper) books not with ink, but with watermarks only, so noone will be able to copy it with copy machine or scanner, but it won't be readable by a human in low light conditions also. Will it be law-compatible copy protection?

Reply #52
You can try and sue them; but the thing is, the whole world is turning onto that DRM schemes, even hardware manufacturers are doing that; but unfortunately, companies aren't helping users, they are battling piracy. Now, I understand that someone takes some illegal files from internet to listen to them, but I don't understand people gathering 500+ GB worth of mp3s and movies from internet. What for?

Companies are fighting them, and ppl who crack their copy protection models. But in the long run, it affects us, ordinary users, in a manner we can't do with our bought CDs and DVDs what WE want to do; make digital copies on computers to listen to music because my stereo isn't in the same room as my computer, and I payed for 44100, 16bit, stereo uncompressed, not 44100, 64kbit wma or whatever.

Silently, we all agreed with that; there was a time when we could all stand up and do something about that, boycott sales, whatever, the times when the first Cactus CP CDs came by; now, all of us silently agreed with situation and instead of fighting it in legal manners, all of us turned to cracking the CP schemes.

Damned if I understand why that happened.

H.
TAPE LOADING ERROR

Reply #53
I'm a bit shocked by this "anticipatory obedience".
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=365987"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just of curiosity: can recording labels be sued in some way for selling broken CDs and not giving an alternative (standard-compliant products)? Probably they are just using monopolistic advantage to force customers to buy media that is not compatible with Philips Rainbow books, so customers' rights are probably violated?

What if they will start printing (paper) books not with ink, but with watermarks only, so noone will be able to copy it with copy machine or scanner, but it won't be readable by a human in low light conditions also. Will it be law-compatible copy protection?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366262"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If they claim that they are selling CD's compliant with the standard when they are not, that violates the consumer protection statutes at both the state and federal levels here in the US.  That is why CD's that are not compliant generally have a disclaimer in the fine print on the back of the case, and don't have the "Compact Disk" logo on them.

EDIT:  Even if you did sue them, your damages would be pretty minimal - limited to the price of the CD.

Reply #54
http://www.mp3talks.com/archive/index.php/t-67.html

I found this thread to be most informative.

But I could have gone here which is not illegal in my country http://www.rjamorim.com/rrw/files/eac/eac095pb3.zip.  I'm not a Lawyer so don't go if it is in yours :-)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to clarify that, "Pre-Beta3" (long old version) is not the same as "Beta3" (released around Aug 2005).

Edit: [a href="http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/eac6.html]http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/eac6.html[/url] still providing legal download of EAC v0.95 beta 3.  Must be quick!

Reply #55
The 'illegal' one's isn't beta 3, but pre-beta 3.

Reply #56
is there any advantage know which makes sense to switch to beta4 at all? 

CYA daphy

Reply #57
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366504"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Copied from the web, see for yourself. 
It says:
Exact Audio Copy V0.95 beta 3 (without CDRDAO package)
                                    &
Exact Audio Copy V0.95 beta 3 (including CDRDAO package)

Reply #58
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Copied from the web, see for yourself. 
It says:
Exact Audio Copy V0.95 beta 3 (without CDRDAO package)
                                    &
Exact Audio Copy V0.95 beta 3 (including CDRDAO package)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366553"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One again, when we are talking about the illegal version we are not talking about beta 3 (the last one with "Retrieve Native TOC") but prebeta 3 (the last one with "Detect TOC Manually"). Did you even read the previous posts in this thread?

Let me show you a relevant older thread again:
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16086&]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=16086&[/url]
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #59

CYA daphy
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bugfixes?

I would use this and in the odd case of the copy protected CD I would download and install a trial version of [a href="http://www.slysoft.com]AnyDVD[/url] (I have already bought it, it's great and worth every penny)

Really, it is no big deal.

Thera are always workarounds.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #60
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366524"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Probably nothing very important judging by the changelog. But there's no reason to stop following EAC development, as if you'll check first post, great things as test & copy of CD images and full unicode support are forthcoming. Personally I've decided on using the latest version and in the odd case of a copyprotected CD (I almost never encounter these) use prebeta 3, which I also keep on my system.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #61
Personally I've decided on using the latest version and in the odd case of a copyprotected CD (I almost never encounter these) use prebeta 3, which I also keep on my system.
Apologies if this has been answered already, but I've seen some conflicting information, so wanted an answer from the horse's mouth.

Have you simply got two different EXEs running on the same system?  I.e.: could I get the zip of both versions and extract them both to my C drive and run them both in tandem with no issues?

Some clarification would be much appreciated.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #62
I also gave a go at keeping them in same folder, but using same profiles gave problems, the profile files are probably quite different for the two versions. Actually, now I keep them in different folders (even on different partitions, cause' I read something somewhere - probably just stupid....) with theire own set of files and all. Anyways, there seems to be some overwriting in registry or something also involved, so after using the different version you should load a profile (complete) for the version you are going to use, but then they both work just fine. Eh, hope this clarifies some.......
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #63
Yes, thank you.

I thought that saving and reloading whole profiles may be a sensible approach.  I guess one registry location is being used for both, so it's one way of switching it over.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #64
One again, when we are talking about the illegal version we are not talking about beta 3 (the last one with "Retrieve Native TOC") but prebeta 3 (the last one with "Detect TOC Manually"). Did you even read the previous posts in this thread?

Let me show you a relevant older thread again:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=16086&
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=366558"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK. Sorry. My bad, I've over looked the thread. 
Thanks for correcting my mistake.

From the changelog, it mentioned about "Manual detection of TOC" available in 0.9 beta 1 built on Jan, 21 2002. It never mentioned about the removal of this feature in later releases. Until the lastest version (v0.95 beta4, build February, 21 2006) it mentioned about "TOC" again: "function of retrieving the native TOC" is removed. I though that's the "TOC" you guys refer to.

Reply #65
It's scary what the entertainment industry has come to.  I think that in the end, the real solution is for people to stop buying copy protected CDs.  It's pretty sad when I pay good money for a CD, then have to seek out a lossless image of that CD on a P2P network just so I can play it properly in virtually every playback device that I own.

As an aside, I wrote on EAC's forum asking if it would be possible to design EAC with some degree of open architecture and support for modular components (a la foobar2000) so that a "3rd party" could add this functionality, removing any degree of blame from Andre.

I wonder if that idea has any potential...

Reply #66
I also gave a go at keeping them in same folder, but using same profiles gave problems, the profile files are probably quite different for the two versions. Actually, now I keep them in different folders (even on different partitions, cause' I read something somewhere - probably just stupid....) with theire own set of files and all. Anyways, there seems to be some overwriting in registry or something also involved, so after using the different version you should load a profile (complete) for the version you are going to use, but then they both work just fine. Eh, hope this clarifies some.......
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mh, the last part was a bit confusing:
So your workflow is like having 2 EACs, a and b, with their own profiles, a and b.
And you always stick to the approp. profiles, meaning EAC a with profile a, and
EAC b with profile b, and once you've used a and now are forced to use b,
the first thing you do is to start EAC b and load profile b, and that's all one has to
take into consideration ? Is that correct ?

It's scary what the entertainment industry has come to.  I think that in the end, the real solution is for people to stop buying copy protected CDs.  It's pretty sad when I pay good money for a CD, then have to seek out a lossless image of that CD on a P2P network just so I can play it properly in virtually every playback device that I own.

As an aside, [a href="http://www.digital-inn.de/exact-audio-copy-english/31987-why-retrieve-native-toc-removed-beta4.html]I wrote on EAC's forum[/url] asking if it would be possible to design EAC with some degree of open architecture and support for modular components (a la foobar2000) so that a "3rd party" could add this functionality, removing any degree of blame from Andre.

I wonder if that idea has any potential...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374576"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I've read about that. I think, it was a great idea, but what a pity, that
Andre didn't take a position to this idea.
I guess I'll lend some weight on the subject area you've initiated by that
question.

Reply #67
Now that it's been a couple months since EAC ver. 0.95b4 was released and about a month since the bump to this thread, what's the final verdict between EAC 0.95b4 vs. 0.95b3?  Thanks in advance.

Reply #68
If you need the removed functions, keep b3, perhaps install b4 in another folder. Else use b4 (like I do).

Reply #71
I guess if the author of EAC had hidden this feature from the beginning, there would be no such trouble like c't magazine investigating etc... The "Retrieve Native TOC" option should not have been visible to the user but automatically triggered everytime a CD apparently containing data is inserted. Nobody would have noticed anything.

Also what's the author's point of view about displaying a disclaimer for German users, and providing two different versions of EAC, one including "TOC" options (hosted wherever in the world but Germany), the other missing the feature? Has he expressed himself about this possibility?

Reply #72
I'm still using EAC 0.95 beta 3.  It makes no sense in upgrading to a new beta, which the author admits is crippled.

Reply #73
This will become a problem when future versions will include nice features (like Unicode support). Someone has suggested that if EAC suppoorted plug-ins it would be easy for someone to create a "TOC manipulation" plug-in without endangering legality of EAC. I don' know if a plugin can make illegal the program for which it's been written.

Reply #74
what's the author's point of view about displaying a disclaimer for German users, and providing two different versions of EAC, one including "TOC" options (hosted wherever in the world but Germany), the other missing the feature? Has he expressed himself about this possibility?

Have you tried asking at the official forum?