Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Casio Exilim EX-Z750 or Fujifilm FinePix E550? (Read 2880 times) previous topic - next topic

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 or Fujifilm FinePix E550?

Hello!

I am looking for a new digital camera to replace my current JENOPTIK 4 mega-pixel that has a broken display. So far, I am quite fond of the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 and Fujifilm FinePix E550. Both cameras have good technical specifications and a lot of people give the products high ratings and most reviews mention a lot of good stuff. However, I also found some people on the Internet who state that both cameras have a major problem: The Casio sometimes fails with the message "Lens Error" and turns off. When turning it back on, the auto-focus does not work. The Fujifilm is reported to issue "Zoom Error" after several weeks of usage and after this, the motor for the objective stops working.
Is any of you using one of the mentioned cameras? If so, did you have any problems?

Regards,
Sebastian

By the way, in case anyone is interested, I would like the camera to have a solid chassis, be able to do most of the stuff automatically, but still let me adjust ISO, white-balance, shutter-speed, etc. manually, be able to record movies at 25 or 30 fps. at 640x480 with sound, have at least 4 mega-pixels and 3x optical zoom. Other than that, it should be able to transfer the pictures to the PC using USB 2.0 (the Fujifilm only supports USB 1.1).

Reply #1
I bought my parents a FP 550 and I didn't hear any complaints yet

If this happens after several weeks of usage, wouldn't it be covered by the warranty?

Reply #2
Fuji F10? Canon IXUS 750?

dpreview forums are useful.

Note: the cameras I know of only record 15/30/60 fps. This is a pain in 50Hz countries. You get flickering under certain light sources, and unless you switch to NTSC (many TVs cope OK), you'll get an unwanted frame rate conversion when replaying the content on a PAL TV.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #3
I bought my parents a FP 550 and I didn't hear any complaints yet

If this happens after several weeks of usage, wouldn't it be covered by the warranty?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355706"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, yes, but I don't really want to go through the process of reporting the issue, sending the device back, explaining Fujifilm that it's their fault and not mine (they could say that I dropped the camera on the floor or something)...

Fuji F10? Canon IXUS 750?

dpreview forums are useful.

Note: the cameras I know of only record 15/30/60 fps. This is a pain in 50Hz countries. You get flickering under certain light sources, and unless you switch to NTSC (many TVs cope OK), you'll get an unwanted frame rate conversion when replaying the content on a PAL TV.

Cheers,
David.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355710"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I had a look at my friend's Canon and although it records at 30 fps, it didn't have problems with light bulbs (in Germany, we have 220 V @ 50 Hz).