Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hifi analog fidelity Vs lossless codecs with apple hardware (Read 4718 times) previous topic - next topic

Hifi analog fidelity Vs lossless codecs with apple hardware

I have a question for you:

I know that the airport express, just like all the new macbooks, are supplied with integrated optical outputs. In-fact the normal mini-jack output has inside audio optical capabilities.
As I can see here there are a lot of experts in hi-fi / computers, (normally things are separated: hi-fi goes with analog and old electronics) I would like to know if the result of a medium level analog hi-fi system could be comparised with a lossless encoding, transmitted optically thought the output to a hifi amplifer (for example a marantz  PM-15S1).

Thakyou for your answers!

Reply #1
Lossless encoding is lossless encoding.  Nothing is lost.  Which means it plays back exactly what it was fed.  The fiile will contain all the information it received from the Marantz.  How good it will sound depends on what you play it back on.  Hopefully the iTunes stuff has some sort of decent pre-amp in it or you are screwed.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #2
So in the encoding we have no loss of quality, but I was more interested in the passage itunes (or flac player) to machine audio hardware, and audio hardware to optical output.

Because I know that normally analog minijack kills the quality level, while I thought it might be different for optical cables (even if I know taht an analog fan would say I am wrong)

When speaking of non valve systems, is equal the "computer - optical amplificator" combination to a traditional "cd player - amp"?

Reply #3
I'd think any differences to be found might come down to the DAC of the Airport Express vs the CD player connected to the Marantz, not the jacks on the Airport (optical or not). But I don't know how you 'd set up a DBT to verify if there's a difference, because you'd have to compensate for volume differences.

Reply #4
Thankyou for the great answer!! Thanks to you I have found a Test.... but it is a bit to much complicated (for my knowledge). I post the link:

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple/

If someone could just have a look at it! (would be great)

Reply #5
Found the audio DAC: Texas Instruments PCM2705

Reply #6
I think that review is basically saying that if you use the analog out, the jitter measurements are not as good compared to some other DACs. But whatever that means in real world (audible) terms, I have no idea. Like I said earlier, it would be hard to prove in a DBT if this measured jitter had any real effect. The article said you could bypass this DAC and it's jitter by using the optical out and relying on some other DAC in your system. At least that's what I got from it

Reply #7

This means that with the applelossless and the airport express (with the optical out) I could bypass the dac and let the amp process a more "pure" signal?

I think I will try! (I already have the airport, but I discovered only now the optical output) .. I simply need an optical cable.
I will let you know..