Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to display album art kept in subfolder? (columns ui) (Read 7612 times) previous topic - next topic

how to display album art kept in subfolder? (columns ui)

i almost always keep album art for a given album in a subfolder of the album's directory, not the main directory itself. in the columns ui, i saw there is a place for scripts, is there a way to get foobar to look in subfolders for album art, rather than just the main directory?

also, for those few albums that i dont have art for, is foobar somehow integrated with album art downloader? ive used album art downloader to get art for albums as i am tagging them one by one, but having the functionality to download art through the player would help out alot.

thank you!

Reply #1
all of the subfolders with album art are all named *band* Album Art - is there some script i can use to have it look in subfolders named "art" or somethin?  i cant find much on this, and im not great with this kinda thing.

Reply #2
try something like this:

$directory_path(%path%)\*name of subfolder*\*name of cover* (without extension)

Reply #3
thanks for your advice - i dropped the code in just as you wrote it, but it didnt do anything, maybe i needed to change some values? is there a wiki or guide for the syntax, variables etc?

here is a common screenshot of what an album directory looks like on my system:

i just want foobar to look for a subdirectory containing the name 'art' in it and check for album art there.

thanks again so much

Reply #4
I use this:
Code: [Select]
-$replace(%path%,%filename_ext%,Artwork\front)

But I don't know if it works, because in the Display tab of the default interface there is a place where you can input places for looking for Album Art too. In this place I use for Front Cover: "Artwork\front.jpg", without the quotes.
You can try using "art" as you folder for Album Art.

Reply #5
for AlbumartDownloader you can use something like this:

"C:\Program Files '('x86')'\AlbumArtDownloader\AlbumArt.exe" /ar "%artist%" /al "%album%" /mn 300 /mx 1000 /path "$replace(%_path%,%_filename_ext%,)cover.jpg

together with foo_run.

Reply #6
vogliadicane,thanks for the input, i actually pretty much have all the album art for my albums - i do use album art downloader standalone on occasion though.

ive tried some of the suggested syntax, none of it seems to work so far. all of my album art is in a subfolder of the album folder. all the folders have the name "art" in them. i know what im wanting to do cant be impossible, im sure others keep their art in a subfolder also. i looked at the title formatting wiki, but man, that was a little overwhelming lol. im surprised there isnt a site out there somewhere that deals specifically with album art and the related formatting.

can you use a wildcard for a subfolder? all of my album art folders arent named exactly the same, as building my library has been an evolving process over time - they do all however, contain the word art in them. like can you have foobar look for a subfolder with art in the name? \*art, somethin like that?  i'll get it eventually, im a bit stubborn lol.

thanks again all

Reply #7
no, you can't use wildcards.

Reply #8
no, you can't use wildcards.

ok, well can i specify a partial folder name then? have foobar look for a subfolder with the word "art" in it ?

Reply #9
that would work for the album on screenshot:

%album% - Album Art\*YOUR COVER NAME*

you can add more like:

%artist% - %album% - Album Art\*YOUR COVER NAME*
%artist% - Album Art\*YOUR COVER NAME*
Album Art\*YOUR COVER NAME*

or just... set the same name for all subfolders, is the best thing to do IMO.

Re: how to display album art kept in subfolder? (columns ui)

Reply #10
Thanks. It works for me. I have my music stored like this
"\artist\album\filename.flac" and artwork stored like this "\artist\album\Artwork\picturename.jpg"
In this case script is "$replace(%path%,%filename_ext%,Artwork\*.jpg)"
Problem is when one album has two CDs. Than my folders are
Artist->album->CD1
                      ->CD2
                      ->Artwork
So script trying to find Artwork folder inside of CD1 folder because of %path%, but it is not there.
How can I change this script to work in this case?
Thanks
= Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses =