Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recognize file format with wrong extension (Read 1000 times) previous topic - next topic

Recognize file format with wrong extension

I was re-encoding FLAC to OGG FLAC with adding --ogg to default foobar flac encoder preset. So output file ended with extension .flac. Surprisingly after conversion foobar reported error "Unsupported format or corrupted file". I opened the file with VLC and it played fine. After trying some workarounds, it turned out that the extension must be .ogg (of course, it's flac in ogg container!) so that file can be played with foobar.

I remember couple of times in the past similar situations for files with wrong extension. Also .m4a annoyance. And because of how m4a issue was solved I don't believe that this request will be considered, but anyway I thought to ask:
In case file passed to foobar isn't recognized, would it be possible for foobar to try reading couple of bits for know formats or use some of it mechanisms to detect it?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021