Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: high CPU usage with resampler! (Read 4653 times) previous topic - next topic

high CPU usage with resampler!

hi,

when i use the resampler my comp have a cpu usage over 20%. what can i do. i´ve a 800 mhz p3 and a creative soundcard.

Reply #1
i believe thats normal for a pIII, even in fast mode.

Reply #2
I have Celeron 800MHz and Audigy1 In fast mode @48000Hz - 16-20%; in normal mode even 50%..........

Reply #3
I know that mine is an extreme case but a PII 350 = 50%

Is there any optimisations that can be made for the resampler?

Reply #4
[deleted]

Reply #5
Using directsound output would probably decrease the CPU usage. But sometimes, other programs running in the background seems to cause increased CPU in foobar. For example, on my Athlon 750, my foobar with resampler on usually takes about 15% of my CPU, but when MSN Messenger is running on the background, that goes up to 20-22%!  I believe this has been discussed on the forums before, but seems like there's no remedy for this issue.

But then again, most times I don't notice the change, so I guess it's not that important...

Reply #6
Resampling is a very CPU intensive process, and is only used when extreme quality is needed.  So any quality trade offs would just about render the resampler usless.  If you want good sound enable the resampler, you want low cpu usage disable it.  Simple as that

Reply #7
Using directsound output would probably decrease the CPU usage. But sometimes, other programs running in the background seems to cause increased CPU in foobar. For example, on my Athlon 750, my foobar with resampler on usually takes about 15% of my CPU, but when MSN Messenger is running on the background, that goes up to 20-22%!   I believe this has been discussed on the forums before, but seems like there's no remedy for this issue.

But then again, most times I don't notice the change, so I guess it's not that important...

yeah, when i run burn a disc with burnatonce foobar goes from 1-5% cpu time (w/ resampler on fast) to 15-20%!  This on a p4 2.1ghz under win2k.  Strange behaviour.

Reply #8
Well, resampling is a pretty huge overhead.

P.S.  I've seen the increase in CPU usage as well (when running UT2003).  I think part of it is the way Windows calculates CPU usage.  I don't really think it's overly accurate.