Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: adult-only content indicator in tag (Read 3349 times) previous topic - next topic

adult-only content indicator in tag

Is there any preferred mp3 tag to indicate that the contents of a song are "adult-only", e.g., contain cuss words, then leave those songs out of playlists when desired?  I have always been totally against government and market censorship, however now that I am a parent of a couple of young kids I could really use some in-home censorship on the playlists (oh how times have changed    ).  Basically it's pretty embarrassing to fire up playlists only to have a Crucifucks or GG Allin song get included with the more kid friendly Ramones type stuff, at least until the kids are older.  I don't think handling it in a genre or style assignment will suffice because bascially any song of any style can have a "naughty" word in it, so clearly this points to a separate tag, I'm thinking something like ADULT=Y or ADULT=N or no ADULT tag at all = N.  I'm not really interested in a range of adult ratings, e.g., PG, PG-13, R, X... just a simple "there's a naughty word there" or "there isn't" indicator.  This would make it easily applicable across all genres & styles, e.g., spoken word comedy, rap, punk, etc.     
Thoughts?

Reply #1
Probably it is impossible not to show playable tracks in playlist view, but you can limit your media library viewer which tracks to show in which occasions

Reply #2
Basically it's pretty embarrassing to fire up playlists only to have a Crucifucks or GG Allin song get included with the more kid friendly Ramones type stuff, at least until the kids are older.

Absolutely! "Now I wanna sniff some glue" is much better for kids than swear words. 

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #3
Actually yes from the viewpoint of a kid's grade school they'll likely get in more trouble happily saying "fuckin' cool!" than singing "now I wanna sniff some glue", silly as it is.    Syntactical content often trumps intentions, unfortunately.    If it helps resolve any conflicts for you carpman I'll tag that one and "Beat on the Brat" as adult as well  .  But now we're off topic, my question is about the tagging method, not which songs should be tagged.

Reply #4
I'm not sure if it's quite what you're after, but there's foo_skip.dll.
AFAIK with that it wouldn't hide the tracks but they wouldn't get played as long as SKIP was activated. You could create a shortcut to toggle it on/off.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...acks_(foo_skip)

If you download it you have to rename it to foo_skip.dll for it to work.

I'll tag that one and "Beat on the Brat" as adult as well 

Yes, please. 

C.

PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #5
I'm not sure if it's quite what you're after, but there's foo_skip.dll.
AFAIK with that it wouldn't hide the tracks but they wouldn't get played as long as SKIP was activated. You could create a shortcut to toggle it on/off.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...acks_(foo_skip)

If you download it you have to rename it to foo_skip.dll for it to work.

I'll tag that one and "Beat on the Brat" as adult as well 

Yes, please. 

C.

That's an interesting angle to it.  foo_skip.dll sounds like a good method for skipping unwanted tracks for those who don't use the RATING tag, skipping songs with RATING=1, essentially.  But since I do use the RATING tag (1-4) and would have to add the SKIP tag to use foo_skip.dll anyway, it seems more straightforward for what I'm doing to instead use an ADULT tag and include it in the playlist criteria when needed.  Same amount of overhead, with clear documenting intent.  Also the idea of a bunch of songs that appear in a playlist but will not get played rubs me the wrong way, but I see how this could be popular.

Reply #6
Note that even with foo_skip you can still play any song when you double click it.

Reply #7
You could use color the song red if adult tag exists:
eg. $if(%adult%,$rgb(200,50,50)%title%,%title%)

or make it uppercase:
eg. $if(%adult%,$upper(%title%),%title%)

Reply #8
Just add a tag like this and use facets with a custom group. Specify the Pattern as following: $if($not(%<parent>% is 1),'('Good')','('Bad')')
So if you select "Good", only songs that don't have a PARENT-Tag set to 1 will be displayed. (I didn't try it, but it should work.)