Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lag/Shift while recording sound (Read 4433 times) previous topic - next topic

Lag/Shift while recording sound

Hello,
I'm new on this forum so it will be my very first topic!

I have a problem on my computer: usually, when I record some sounds (actually long sounds: 30 minutes approx.), everything records well. But now, when I listen to what I've recorded, it appears that there are some "jumps" in the wav or mp3 generated (as if a few millisecs were eaten randomly in the file).
I kept the same configuration, all I've done is updating my XP version to SP3. I kept the same hardware.

Does anyone have an idea about how to solve this?
Thanks

Cesar

PS: here is the link to the file http://www.makinarena.com/index.php?action...9.0;attach=8488

Reply #1
When you play back the file are the jumps always in the same place or does it vary each time you play it?

Reply #2
They are always at the same place . That is the problem: the shifts are generated during the recording sequence...

Reply #3
virus checker?
auto update?
MS genuine advantage thingy?
screen saver?
etc

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
i tried with internet and virus switched off, but what is MS genuine advantage?? Actually I accepted to install it recently, it could match

Reply #6
Thank you. I found something to remove it. I did remove WGA, but I still have the problem. Really don't understand...

Reply #7
Did it work glitch-free before you installed SP3?

Some more suggestions: If you have a laptop/mobile CPU, let your CPU run in "desktop mode" in Control Panel -> Power Options. Disable all hardware you don't need. Win Key + Pause -> Hardware -> Device Manager. A bluetooth and/or WLAN driver once gave me glitches. Last thing, if you know what you're doing, disable all unnecessary background services: Start -> Run: "services.msc".

Hope that helps.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #8
You need something fairly dramatic to happen to make a modern PC fail to record audio properly.

If it's not the drivers, it's some process kicking in.

Can you run Task Manager while recording, and see if anything accesses the disc lots (enable the I/O read/write / Bytes columns), or uses the processor lots, at about the same time as you get glitches?

Cheers,
David.

Reply #9
You need something fairly dramatic to happen to make a modern PC fail to record audio properly.

If it's not the drivers, it's some process kicking in.

I run into a  lot of laptops with problems like insufficient RAM and slow/full hard drives. Just running programs from the desktop, they can seem to stick and notch, which could cause problems during recording.

The easiest, cheapest fix if you don't know what you are doing, is to add RAM.

Reply #10
I'll check for the processes. I removed a lot of them but the problem still appears. I'll post when I've something new.
Concerning the cheapest fix, I prefer to pinpoint THE source of my problem. I have a really good computer, I don't know why I have that...

Thanks all!

Reply #11
I'll check for the processes. I removed a lot of them but the problem still appears.

After booting your computer how many processes do you see listed in Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del)? The minimum number really needed is only about 15, though most people have a good deal more than that. Personally I've only got 17 processes running, so my Windows XP is running pretty lean. Leaner and meaner is better here.

Reply #12
Hmmm, one more trivia maybe: if you're using a USB audio interface, try a different USB port.
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.