Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newbie questions: DAC, usb or not (Read 4057 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie questions: DAC, usb or not

Hi all, I have a new PC which I'd like to use as a quality audio source for a "higher end" 2 channel hi fi system. The mobo is the Asus P5N7A with integrated sound card and an optical output. Initially I wanted to add a quality PCI sound card like the Onkyo Wavio se-150 or 200, then it occurred to me that an external usb dac like the Trend Audio 10.1 might be a better choice. Shopping around I found a good deal on a BERESFORD TC-7510 DAC, which has no usb input.

Would I get better audio (flac) from the Onkyo or from an external usb dac?

If I connected the TC-7510 to the optical output of my motherboard, would that bypass the onboard soundcard?

Thanks 

Reply #1
Does your stereo have digital optical in? If so then just use the optical out from your mobo.

Reply #2
Does your stereo have digital optical in? If so then just use the optical out from your mobo.

no my amp does not have an optical input. thanks for the advice though

Reply #3
There's not much to go wrong with optical out so the integrated sound card's output should be just fine, especially since the BERESFORD reclocks the signal.

I can't say anything about the quality of the DAC in the BERESFORD vs. either of the others, but in general it is not that difficult to build an excellent DAC these days, and personally I would be more comfortable with external rather than internal, even though it is certainly possible to get excellent sound from an internal sound card.

The external DAC also has the advantage that you can place your computer some distance from the amplifier without any danger of loss of signal quality. Using optical also eliminates the problem of ground loops.

Reply #4
There's not much to go wrong with optical out so the integrated sound card's output should be just fine, especially since the BERESFORD reclocks the signal.

I can't say anything about the quality of the DAC in the BERESFORD vs. either of the others, but in general it is not that difficult to build an excellent DAC these days, and personally I would be more comfortable with external rather than internal, even though it is certainly possible to get excellent sound from an internal sound card.

The external DAC also has the advantage that you can place your computer some distance from the amplifier without any danger of loss of signal quality. Using optical also eliminates the problem of ground loops.

ok thanks, that explains it well.