Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Error writing playlist files (Read 5416 times) previous topic - next topic

Error writing playlist files

I am running vista x64 with 4GB ram and have the following problem(s):

I get frequent 'lockups'. Not proper crashes, but tracks will be stuck on the first second of the track (peakmeter shows a small flicker, as if its moving back and forth between a couple of frames on the song), or sometimes the lockups will manifest themselves as GUI 'bugs' such as tearing or entire sections of Columns UI going black, or sometimes playback error (bad allocation).

Either way the program is semi-responsive (i.e. not hung or ctd) but has an issue of some sort.

If I try and close foobar (normally the only option that works), I (almost) always get this error message:

Note: Aside from removing old components and changing the media library path(s) this install used to work fine and was identically copy/pasted from my old machine to this one.

Note2: Vista Home Premium x64 edition, legal + everything fully updated
Note3: If its relevant I run dual monitors and foobar on the secondary (right) screen, although I doubt it is.
Note4: Using Creative X-fi Platinum and directsound for playback.

Reply #1
Update: I have installed a parallel install of foobar2000 9.5.5 and set it up identically, and so-far it seems to be running okay.

I will be able to report for definite after a week or so, since crashes can be as infrequent as 2-3days.

Side note: It seems it hadnt properly upgraded or something? My old install of foobar (the one that kept crashing) didnt have live editing of the layout, any of the new visualisations and some other bits. Strange.

Reply #2
Side note: It seems it hadnt properly upgraded or something? My old install of foobar (the one that kept crashing) didnt have live editing of the layout, any of the new visualisations and some other bits. Strange.
Does your new installation also use Columns UI? It sounds like you might be using the Default UI there.

The "Bad allocation" problem appears on Windows Vista when you use old components that were compiled with a buggy version of the foobar2000 SDK. You should check for component DLLs that were created before July 30th, 2006.

Reply #3
Yes both my installs were using a columns ui layout (a fancy-pants one I got off theese forums a _long_ time ago but cant find now)

It seems making a clean install in a seperate folder and then reapplying all the settings has fixed it, since I have yet to have any crashes.

Strange thing though, I had: \foobar2000 which was my broken install and \foobar2000 redux which was my 'clean' install.

When I renamed \foobar2000 to \foobar2000 old it retained its settings <- using program files folder for settings
When I renamed \foobar2000 redux to \foobar2000 it lost its settings <- using application data folder for settings

So I am now running with: \foobar2000 redux & \foobar2000 old (until I am 100% all settings are over)

Its like vista has/had some sort of weird permissions(?) issue with letting foobar use c:\program files(x86)\foobar2000\ to store its settings

Does your new installation also use Columns UI? It sounds like you might be using the Default UI there.

The "Bad allocation" problem appears on Windows Vista when you use old components that were compiled with a buggy version of the foobar2000 SDK. You should check for component DLLs that were created before July 30th, 2006.

AFAIK all components are latest and created well after july 30th 2006
and
Both installs are using columns ui; I have just checked and both installs had all the visualisations and live edition components, I just never noticed them

-Tony

Reply #4
I thought that this error dialog is new as I saw it in 0.9.6.9 or 0.9.6.8 with exact behavior as OP described when I lost my playlists, but I guess it is OS dependent (back then autobackup component wasn't so advanced as it is now )

So I meant to post asking about it but then I searched and saw this thread. As I remember I saw it first on portable install with minimal components + some, but can't recall what I was doing and I'm sure I wasn't using columns. From that time I saw it couple of times and today also and as I don't have components from 2006 I'm curious what triggers such playlist disaster - I mean in which case foobar throws this dialog?

[edit] I noticed that dialogs slightly differ:

Reply #5
I'd profile path became invalid or something. Reproduce it, open Process Monitor, click [Retry], see what returns ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND 
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #6
I can't reproduce it. But when it happens again, I'll do that.

Reply #7
OK, it happened again. What I did: I started foobar, checked something in console and try to exit, than the error dialog popped.
Here is 10 sec of procmon output, because I couldn't find ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. I press Retry once, then again and foobar exited

+ stacks from active threads:

Code: [Select]
foobar2000.exe+0x1190d1:

ntoskrnl.exe!KeSetEvent+0x294
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlEnumerateGenericTableAvl+0x9f4
ntoskrnl.exe!NtSetInformationProcess+0x2c0a
ntoskrnl.exe!KiDeliverApc+0x111
ntoskrnl.exe!KeInsertQueue+0x330
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSaveStateForHibernate+0x14a7
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x393
ntoskrnl.exe!ExAcquireResourceExclusiveLite+0x185
ntoskrnl.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0xb5a