Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Change dB value of "Apply Track ReplayGain to MP3 Data" opti (Read 2794 times) previous topic - next topic

Change dB value of "Apply Track ReplayGain to MP3 Data" opti

Hi Everyone
I use MP3Gain one all my Song and change them to 92dB.
The option "Apply Track ReplayGain to MP3 Data" seems to do the same but only to 89dB.
I love to use Foobar in the future for the change because it uses all 4 cores of my cpu not only 1 like MP3Gain.
Is there a way to set the "Apply Track ReplayGain to MP3 Data" option to 92dB ?

Greetings

Mark

Reply #1
Preferences>Playback. Here you can change ReplayGain settings.

Reply #3
Without a standard "target", replaygain is completely useless, because it does not store any reference (target) in the metadata. The replaygain-specs specify 89dB as target because of this. In other words: the target is not an option of replaygain, but instead a static part of replaygain itself. Chaging it is stupid.

If you want to play music louder or quieter than the target, then you should specify this during PLAYBACK, not during analyzation. And this is exactly what Preferences->Playback is there for. The target should be standard and identical on every file - and the user may then individually modify the amp during playback.

Why does mp3gain allow it then? Well, mp3gain has a history of "making things work quickly and dirty, then care about the consequences later".
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #4
But if you understand how MP3Gain works, then nothing stops you from using foobar2000 w/ a target volume of 92 dB. Some manual fiddling is required, though.

Nevertheless, I'd recommend using 89 dB as is.

Why does mp3gain allow it then? Well, mp3gain has a history of "making things work quickly and dirty, then care about the consequences later".

While I agree MP3Gain could have been better in some ways, sometimes files are off by +/- 1 dB or more. It's nice to have manual tweaking available.

Reply #5
mp3gain allows that because mp3gain specifically changes files for players that don't support ReplayGain, and because people asked for it!

ReplayGain defines metadata, and a player pre-amp. Without either available, the closest possible implementation is changing the file itself, and allowing the target volume to be adjusted by the user.

Cheers,
David.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021